Honey respiratory infection back with a vengeance 2 days after finishing antibiotics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We now have blood coming out of our nose :( this really is mirror image of our moosey......I don't know if I wanna make her wait till saturday like this....but then again I don't wanna stop fighting for her either.....

It looks like it coming out of her eye now too...is that even possible? I wiped them with a wet paper towel and one spot is from her nose and the other is from her eye...

WIN_20150521_174141.jpg

So we took our doxy willingly and then had 3 bites of dads eggs and drank 3ml of gatorade for mom :) now time for bedtime and snuggles..I really hope she feels better tomorrow.

How is she today?
You went to the vet yesterday .... is she now on baytril + azithromycin? or baytril + azithromycin + doxy?

Is her mouth/face infected? Is she on a heavy duty antibiotic for that such as chloramphenicol palmitate?

She is breathing a little quieter today...vet just gave her doxy.....she won't ever give anything else but that and baytril..only time I have gotten her to give me something other than that was when isabell had her abscess......she recommended doxy and breathing treatments....So I am doing doxy + baytril + amoxi until I can find somewhere to get that other which will be far far away and not till tuesday :( but she drank a whole syringe of gatorade for me and roughly .4ml of water...I have yet to get her to eat anything today but the one little piece of left over egg she had from dad last night..I made her some but mine weren't good enough.She really is a little champion. I have a nebulizer here at home but not sure where I can get the medicine for it cause I probably need a perscription for it....but not sure if that would help or not cause when the vet did it yesterday it stressed her out more than anything..I mean she got maybe 2% better for about 20 minutes and then got worse than she was before the treatment..maybe was coincidence but I doubt it..

Can you find a different vet? One that is open to listening, consulting other vets and learning ....
There are more effective antibiotics, depending upon the problem.
And doxy + baytril is much less effective then the combos I mentioned.
I have a bronchodilator as a puffer from a pharmacy by prescription from my vet ... this is not as stressful as a nebulizer

What does the vet think is wrong ... ie swollen face and green discharge?

Last edited:
no discharge is dark red....and poor honey is not going to make it..been sitting her for about 2hrs while she has attacks of not being able to breath...she is so tired but everytime she dozes off she stops breathing :( if she makes it till morning by some cruel fate then I will take her and have hr PTS

So our episodes have come to about 1 an hour or so..sometimes more time inbetween...she drank 1 1/2 ml of water and 1 ml of gatorade and finished off her baby cereal..we also managed to make a poop which she hasn't done in atleast 2 days...So what do I do?.....She clearly is making an effort but vet is closed sundays and I don't wanna not take her and then her get worse again and suffer more....Maybe take her and discuss all other courses of treatment which would be? This is day 4 of the antibiotics and she has showed a little improvement yesterday which was just her breathing got quieter but I don't think I can't handle watching her run around in a panic gasping for air until monday..

Back