New little lady is Pregnant :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try to put her in something white like paper towels so if she pees then you could visibly see that she has urinated :) Fingers crossed that she can still pee...is she pooping ok?

I would try to put her in something white like paper towels so if she pees then you could visibly see that she has urinated :) Fingers crossed that she can still pee...is she pooping ok?

luckily yes:) im thinking (hoping) she can, she is still a happy lady and isn't acting like she's feeling too sick. she still eats just fine and I'm thinking that means she's drinking too, but I haven't seen her drink since the vet visit

Good! So atleast we know that is working for her :) But I would try the paper towel thing just overnight to see if she is peeing..Hopefully everything is still in working order and she will heal up and be ok..though she might always look a little off down there but as long as it all works then that is all that matters!

Yay for big drinks!
Like RatPack said, some paper towels in her cage should show you how much she is peeing.
Since it seems like she is doing OK after the initial trauma, then it's just a matter of monitoring her. I was reading a bit about things and I think the other thing you have to watch for is muscle contracture as she is healing. This regarding cats, however..."the development of scar tissue within the muscle that surrounds the urethra - this is a urethral stricture, it narrows the diameter of the urethral lumen through which urine can pass, potentially resulting in an obstruction."

to answer anyway yes I did c: she's started like licking and cleaning her ouchie a lot now. it does look like the area where she at first lost like a chunk of fur in skin has spread...?

Yay for big drinks!
Like RatPack said, some paper towels in her cage should show you how much she is peeing.
Since it seems like she is doing OK after the initial trauma, then it's just a matter of monitoring her. I was reading a bit about things and I think the other thing you have to watch for is muscle contracture as she is healing. This regarding cats, however..."the development of scar tissue within the muscle that surrounds the urethra - this is a urethral stricture, it narrows the diameter of the urethral lumen through which urine can pass, potentially resulting in an obstruction."
would you mind educating me a bit more on this? I'm slightly confused on what it all means but would like to know/understand.

As far as I understand it to mean:
She has been injured. As the injury heals, scar tissue forms. If the muscles around her urethra were injured, then as things heal and scar tissue forms, the scar tissue may impinge on the space where the urethra is, making it narrower or possibly gradually blocking it altogether.

have you heard of it happening before? also shes packed in quite some weight. when I first got her she weighed 156 g and last night she was 290 g. should I be concerned about her not being able to digest food right and it causing her to be clogged up or anything?

she's very lumpy down there..
imagf0-357.jpg

I would definitely bring her in to a vet to be examined and placed on meds asap. Stop all intros. When a rat goes for the genitals...it's bad.

I guess it's possible. I'm not sure if she was ever kept with a boy before we got her or not.

and we took her to the vet awhile back and got her on meds c: she hasn't seen rhoda ever since the little rumble but i sometimes let reggie and faticus come out while she's wandering around because they get along just fine.

Back