The Rat Shack > Rats, Keep Out! > Chatter Box > I don't understand my coworkers

Help Support Ratshack Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
thefriggintribe

Default I don't understand my coworkers

At work I have my cubicle covered in rat pictures & figurines. Everybody can clearly see that I am a pocket pet fan. People constantly come up to me to inform me that they have pet snake and then stare at me to see how I will respond. I personally think this is rude because I can only assume they are trying to make me upset. I politely explain that I respect all living creatures and hope they treat everybody (including their pet's food) humanely and with respect. Although I personally choose not to have a pet snake, I respect everybody's choice.

Am I taking this too personally assuming they are trying to upset me?

<:3 )~ Forever in my heart: Sam, Nikki, Brutus, Buckwheat, Barley, Spice, Sugar, Monterey, Pepper, Colby, Havarti, Stilton, Jigsaw, Puzzle, Bolt, Vinegar, Nibbles, Logan, Riley, Banana, Coconut, Splinter, Roquefort, Rocky, Rusty, Felix, Hermes, Kirk, Hermes, Jean Luc, Whiskey, Luca, Stumpy, Riker, Angel, Daisy, Princess, Pixie, Mouse, Beans, Petunia, Buttercup, Victor, Oscar, Blaze, Joe, Steve and Chucky.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Ace8670

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Re: I don't understand my coworkers

I don't think so... People come up to me like that all the time as well at me job. I think it's very rude because honestly? Why even bring it up? There is no reason for them to just come up and tell you about their snakes. That's almost like going up to a dog lover and saying you feed dogs to your pet lion. I think some people just feel horrible about themselves so they try to make others feel horrible as well for sport

Old 09-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
thefriggintribe

It would be one thing if they said, "I have a pet snake, it is a boa and his name is Striker. I have had him for 3 years and he is just the cutest..." But all they say is, "I have a pet snake. What do you think about that?"
<:3 )~ Forever in my heart: Sam, Nikki, Brutus, Buckwheat, Barley, Spice, Sugar, Monterey, Pepper, Colby, Havarti, Stilton, Jigsaw, Puzzle, Bolt, Vinegar, Nibbles, Logan, Riley, Banana, Coconut, Splinter, Roquefort, Rocky, Rusty, Felix, Hermes, Kirk, Hermes, Jean Luc, Whiskey, Luca, Stumpy, Riker, Angel, Daisy, Princess, Pixie, Mouse, Beans, Petunia, Buttercup, Victor, Oscar, Blaze, Joe, Steve and Chucky.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
BlueSkyy

Liked 70 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ask what its name is... They obviously want you to flip out, so confuse them and do the opposite. Get super interested in their snake. You probably care more about it as a living creature than they do, chances are. I've found many herp enthusiasts don't even name their pets and simply keep them for their looks/color morphs. Like collecting stamps...

(For the record I keep a snake and have my ratties, but my ratties will always come first. Mortimer eats mostly frogs and would never grow big enough to ever eat a rat, hence why I chose his species of snake as a pet. XD)

Forever <3 : Justin Izzy Panda Scout Napoleon Fritz Crumb Rafael Jake Elwood Dilbert Percy Krumm Phantom Ghost Rusty Squid Gilgamesh Voodoo Hermey Shiloh Rhombus Stumpy Cinna Krinkle

Old 09-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
mia9_28

Liked 36 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Send a message via Yahoo to mia9_28

No, I don't think you are taking this personally. They are clearly going out of their way to try and upset you.. or get a reaction out of you at least.
Romeo - Black berkshire dumbo
Dude - Black variegated
Squirt - Black Berkshire
Kilo - Split cap himi dumbo
Bruce - Agouti Berkshire
Clark - Fawn self
Eska - Agouti variegated dumbo

Rest in peace Felix, Deno, Smokey, Timmy, Bobo, Charlie, Yoshi, Toby, Keno, Ryder, Milo, Nemo, Fiji, Diego, Casper, Dexter, Ezra, Popcorn, and Cooper

Old 09-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
GrayLightNewDay

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Um, what the heck. My boyfriend's friend's do that to me, but they are stupid dudes in their mid 20's, so I wouldn't expect much more from them. But coworkers? That's just immature and they need to get over it. I know that the guys do it to get a rise out of me, talking about how their cats kill rats or that they think rats are delicious in a rat soup (really!? clearly just being a-holes). If I went to work and people felt the need to go out of their way to talk to me about snakes, I'd be pretty annoyed. It would definitely get old, quick.

I love my musician boyfriend. <3

Old 09-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
kathleenford

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i've had it happen with people that go to my school. "why would anyone want pet rats? i have a snake, i can take care of your problem". i tell them how often rat's actually kill snakes, and they shut right up. even my grandmother has said it to me, but about her cats.
Dog; Chrissy.

Forever in my heart; Kinder, Mr.Boots, Sandy, Luther, Lucas, Lucas the 2nd, Storm.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
Winddance

Ive had that happen to me before, If someone says "Well I have a snake and I feed it rats" I reply with "thats great" I try to not let them get to me. They are only looking for a negative reaction from you.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1570 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 212

There are so many immature people in the world. If only as many people could try to make their fellow man feel comfortable as opposed to making them feel uncomfortable. Very sad.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #10
Aida

Liked 223 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 287

Ugh, idiots. Just try to ignore it, you know?

Currently snuggling with Matilda, Oreo, and Ratatouille <333

"We shall pass through this world but once. Therefore, any good thing I can do, for any living being, let me do it now. Let me not deter it nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."