I think my ratties have mites, should I change litters?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandie

Hi guys,

I'm taking my rats to the vet tonight for the first time, Jesse has been pulling out his fur quite badly as the blood and scabs under his chin always seem fresh, I first noticed them last night, there are scabs under his chin and pieces of hair around the cage. His brother Sheriff doesn't have bald patches but his back has a couple scabs in his back.

I've been using yesterday's news but i haven't been refrigerating it, my family thought it was a little... crazy so I thought maybe I was being over paranoid and didn't bother. But I will be from now on, I don't want them to go through this again!

Is yesterday's news especially bad for carrying mites? I'm only using it for the litterboxes but they like hanging out there sometimes.

What litter are you guys using? Are some litters more prone than others to carrying mites or is this just because I didn't take precautions to freezing it? Also should I freeze their lava ledges as well or should they be fine?

Thanks!
e7de06669ea1e81c73fa07181e2c435d.jpg
753b40c005b80ddb4d841192857a10ee.jpg
e17979bb9ef8f4d467734cc944eeb1e4.jpg

Please treat them asap with revolution from the vet.
The amount depends on weight.
Also clean the cage, wash everything, freeze anything wooden.

Rats can get mites from the heating system as well as other sources, in addition to their bedding. This often happens in the spring and fall when heating systems turn on or off.

I have to admit that while I would freeze other types of bedding, I do not freeze yesterdays news either.
Perhaps I should start ....

good luck

Last edited:
Wow that's good to know, I'm washing my bed sheets (where i usually let them play) and it's right near a vent so I'll be vacuuming that when i vacuum my room today

Thanks for the reply SQ

Thanks, that site is a great resource

An update: they got a dose of revolution last night and some baytril, they seem to be a lot better, not as many hairs around the cage and some of the scabs are healing! Yay!

Back