Another sick baby...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo2701

So posted maybe a month ago that one of my 3 babies was suddenly sick and eventually passed. So the breeder i got the babies from gave me a new baby for free because the guy died.

That new little baby I named Eli is now on the brink of death with the same symptoms. I found him last night covered in pee with blood in it. However thankfully he was still eating and moving around. Gave him meds straight away. No symptoms of respiratory issues like the other guy. This morning i checked up on him and he is barely breathing. I managed to syringe feed him some meds but it's not looking good...

I feel like i'm cursed... Maybe the litter i got the little guys from just weren't healthy and had issues...

Should I give my 2 other healthy babies some meds? and here's hoping for the best... :sad4:

This is your third dead baby?
Get a necropsy done with tissue samples tested.

There may have been something wrong with him or the two that survived may have had one of the many life threatening diseases that rats can catch and may be contagious. You need to know the answers before you ever consider bringing another rat into your household.

How were the rats doing before they were rehomed, what changed when they were rehomed, how old were they when rehomed?
You also need to look at what happened to the littermates of all of the babies, how old they were separated from mom.
And you also need to consider all the conditions in your home - cage, bedding, food, water, all items in cage, cleaning, possible toxins, drafts, temperature and temperature changes, scent, smoke, other animals, etc

Last edited:
It's the second dead baby in a month... I am going to get in contact with the lady i got them from to find out some information.

As far as i know the rats were healthy before i got them. I have been considering everything in the house and will keep a close eye on the 2 surviving guys. I have been through everything in the house and highly doubt that it's something in the house. I keep the cages clean, don't use any scents, they aren't located near any drafts, and I clean the cage regularly. I had rats before in the environment and never had this happen...

The rats were 9 weeks when i got them. The 2 I do have did get sick for a very short time but the one rat wasn't mine originally. It was my sister's rat. So that's why I also thought it might have something to do with lady who raised them or just the litter. All the rats were from the same home originally. Possibly the same or different litter but born around the same time frame.

Back