The Rat Shack > Ratties In Need > Canadian Rescues and Shelters > Home to be needed (Vancouver Island,BC)

Help Support Ratshack Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Username

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Experienced home needed (Vancouver Island,BC)

I have two baby Rattus Rattus that need an experienced owner and a place to call home. They're still young, though I'm not sure how old, and seem to require assistance to defecate and urinate. They also don't seem to be interested in food, so they will need to be fed with a syringe and then weaned.
I would love to keep these babies myself, but my situation doesn't allow it. I'm also very busy and I feel I cannot provide them the constant level of care that they need at this age.

Some information about them:

- They're boys.
- They're orphans.
- They (technically) are wild, but they don't mind being handled, and the smaller one will even go to sleep after giving you a once over.
- They're both black.

I'm not sure exactly how old they are, as I rescued them myself only yesterday, but more information (along with some pictures) can be found here: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/s...ewpost&t=34623

Last edited by Username; Yesterday at 10:27 PM.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 519 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 1267

Someone who knows more about wild rats then I do can likely let you know if they really are wild ........ but unfortunately domesticated rats (pet rats) are often abandoned outdoors and they can have the same colouration as wild rats

The babies look black ..... which imo means they are pets someone dumped outdoors

Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Last edited by SQ; 08-26-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #3
Username

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ View Post
Someone who knows more about wild rats then I do can likely let you know if they really are wild ........ but unfortunately domesticated rats (pet rats) are often abandoned outdoors and they can have the same colouration as wild rats

The babies look black ..... which imo means they are pets someone dumped outdoors
Interesting... Thank you

Old 08-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #4
SQ

you might check into the appearance of wild rats in your area, but remember that pets rats can have the same colouration

It does look like some wild rats in your area can be black (as can pet rats)
Off the internet:
Quote:
Roof rats –*This species is the most common in Vancouver. As their name indicates, roof rats are climbers that prefer roof spaces and attics. They may be grey or black, and they can grow to over 25 cm.
Norway rats –*Unlike roof rats, this larger species likes burrowing in crawl spaces and basements. Norway rats can grow to more than 30 cm in length and have brown fur instead of black or grey.
Here is a page that describes the rats in your area
http://vancouver.ca/home-property-de...-and-mice.aspx
Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Last edited by SQ; 08-26-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1523 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Can you show us a picture of the rats? Black rats are domesticated rats. Agouti is the colour for wild and domesticated rats.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
SQ

I have contacted someone in BC who is going to try to find someone to help. Please message me your contact info so they can talk to you.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #7
SQ

Sea to Sky small animal rescue might be willing to take the baby

and a woman posted on one of your other threads that she would like to foster/adopt the baby
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/s...t=34623&page=3

Someone mentioned this rescue but I don't know if they are any good https://www.facebook.com/ScritchesRatRescue/

Last edited by SQ; 09-04-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:34 AM   #8
cofiko

Default SARS volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username View Post
I have two baby Rattus Rattus that need an experienced owner and a place to call home. They're still young, though I'm not sure how old, and seem to require assistance to defecate and urinate. They also don't seem to be interested in food, so they will need to be fed with a syringe and then weaned.
I would love to keep these babies myself, but my situation doesn't allow it. I'm also very busy and I feel I cannot provide them the constant level of care that they need at this age.
I'm in the Comox Valley, and would really like to see them go to the right home as soon as I find it.

Some information about them:

- They're boys.
- They're orphans.
- They (technically) are wild, but they don't mind being handled, and the smaller one will even go to sleep after giving you a once over.
- They're both black.

I'm not sure exactly how old they are, as I rescued them myself only yesterday, but more information (along with some pictures) can be found here: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/s...ewpost&t=34623

Hello, I am one of the volunteers from SARS, we've been trying to contact u (or whom ever emailed us) for a bit now ... is there any update (I am actually one of the volunteers that lives on the island)
Cheers,
Anna