New rats, one albino with bad eyesight?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imjessiegee

I got my new male rats yesterday. One is albino, which has bad eyesight as it sways its head. I read up that the swaying motion helps it too see better, and how far objects are. I also have a white, with a little brown on its nose. The white/brown one is nosey, it comes to me for a sniff, takes food from my hands and generally seems to lick my hand.

However the albino one is petrified, I'll try giving it food, leaving it food and walking away and generally giving it space. I know it'll take time since it's only been 24 hours, but is there any tips for the albino one?

You are right that his eyesight is poor and he is trying to focus when he sways his head.
Continuing to give him time to adjust to his new home is a good idea. It will help that his sibling is not afraid.

If the cage is in a room where you are frequently, then the boys will get used to your presence. Talk to the frequency so they get used to you. Continuing to offer foods is a good idea.
There are other things you can do once the boys are adjusted to their new home. Such as offering food on a spoon if they are too fearful to take it from you, talking gently to them, putting your hand into their cage so they can sniff you, climb on your hand etc and get to know you.
After they are us to you and their new home, wearing a tight shirt and a loose shirt and putting both boys on you between the two shirts is a technique can help.
You can have a look at joinrats.com for some ideas

good luck

You are right that his eyesight is poor and he is trying to focus when he sways his head.

Continuing to give him time to adjust to his new home is a good idea. It will help that his sibling is not afraid.

If the cage is in a room where you are frequently, then the boys will get used to your presence. Talk to the frequency so they get used to you. Continuing to offer foods is a good idea.

There are other things you can do once the boys are adjusted to their new home. Such as offering food on a spoon if they are too fearful to take it from you, talking gently to them, putting your hand into their cage so they can sniff you, climb on your hand etc and get to know you.

After they are us to you and their new home, wearing a tight shirt and a loose shirt and putting both boys on you between the two shirts is a technique can help.

You can have a look at joinrats.com for some ideas

good luck

Thanks [emoji3]

On the topic of this post, has anyone any ideas of how to change their change without stressing the albino out? As that one will not come near me at all and if I go to move it's box it runs far?

On the topic of this post, has anyone any ideas of how to change their change without stressing the albino out? As that one will not come near me at all and if I go to move it's box it runs far?

Can you remove both boys and put them into their play area or a carrier while you clean their cage?

Back