Is this wound normal after neutering?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma6195

I have had my two rats neutered and one of their wounds looks abnormal and I'm worried.
I have Gucci who looks pretty normal as far as wounds go, no lumps etc
But my other boy Versace, his is red and black in parts and has a small lump - like his testicles are still there. He seems better in himself than Gucci but is more likely to be seen grooming the area.

I'm not sure the pics are going to upload (gucci first, versace second) but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I can't tell from the pics, hopefully someone else can
but, you should be able to go back to the vet for a free recheck after surgery

My first thought is that there is tissue puckering or a reaction to the sutures. I would definitely let a vet look as this could easily turn into an abscess. They
Look like sweeties. [emoji7]

Thank you, I'm new to rat neutering!

He is defo ok in himself but we have a follow up appointment on Tuesday anyway.
I was just worried as I see a lot of people saying their vets gave pain meds and antibiotics and mine didn't

sometimes there is a lot of swelling and they can feel quite hard..... but if there isn't a problem, the swelling will slowly go down.
It is good that you have a vet visit tomorrow so your vet can let you know if everything looks like it should

Does he seem to be in pain?

sometimes there is a lot of swelling and they can feel quite hard..... but if there isn't a problem, the swelling will slowly go down.
It is good that you have a vet visit tomorrow so your vet can let you know if everything looks like it should

Does he seem to be in pain?

Not any more. There was pain on the first two days but not now.

I do think it's bigger yeh.

I will post here what the vet says!

So I'm back from the vets.
She said it was swelling due the empty space and it should go down and I've also been told there's no infection.

I have been advised to wet cotton wool pads and put them in the fridge and put them on his swelling a couple of times a day.
He was always active - even after the surgery so it's probably just irritated too

Back