Not sure if this is the right place to post!! New here.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imjessiegee

Hi. So today at a car boot sale I managed to get a big cage. It's pretty big, now I'm a dog/gerby owner so only used to tanks/small gerbilariums. This cage is pretty rusty. Im gonna sand it down and paint it with rust paint.

By the end of this month, I should hopefully have some money to buy either a Degu or Rat pair. I know they need to be in pairs, the rats. I'm used to gerbils being in pairs. TELL ME ANYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT RATS AS IM CLUELESS AND WILL NEED TO RESEARCH...

I was just wondering- A. Is this the right place [emoji23]

B. Are rats good pets? I'm at college a lot and will be in too let them out and stuff.

C. Is this cage okay once renovated? What do I use for rats? I use megazorb for my gerbils!

2f0a5ce2d6854888be5060604442ba2e.jpg

1. This is a good site with a lot of info and ideas for pet rat owners so check out the different sections

3. Two rats need a cage that is at least 4 cubic feet in size and has a base of at least 30 in by 18 in and height with levels ..... but bigger is better. You will need to replace and wood as it will soon smell pretty bad. Cages also need small bar spacing.

I believe their are animal safe non toxic paints you can use .... because rats and degus will chew on the bars
For bedding you can use unscented paper based bedding, hardwood shavings, at fleece blankets. Dust and odor will cause health issues in rats. Also, bedding needs to be frozen for 72 hours after purchase to kill parasites (mites, lice, fleas etc) that may be in it. Many people use an unscented pelleted paper in their litter boxes such as yesterdays news kitty litter.

2. Rats need to live with at least one other rat, degus need to live with at least one other degu

Rats are predators or prey. They can not be mixed with animals of other species. Rats will kill small animals such as gerbils ..... rats have been known to grab a hamster through cage bars and pull it through the bars dismembering and killing it.

Rats are good pets but they can be expensive. Not only do they need large cages, toys, a solid 12 in diameter wheel, hammocks a house, at least 2 sources of water in the cage - at least one needs to be a water dish
a good quality rat block (oxbow or Harlan Teklad 2014) as 80% of the diet and daily vegs and healthy treats (a piece of fruit, berries, cooked oatmeal, organic pumpkin seeds, etc) Water needs to be free of chlorine and fluoride
but they also need a good vet experienced and knowledgeable in treating rats and they frequently require meds from the vet. Rats become ill and die fast so when you notice they are ill, you are already in a medical emergency. It is suggested that you have a credit card or else a bank account (with at least $300 for the 1st rat and $200 for each additional rat) for medical expenses

Rats need to get out of the cage to run and climb and explore and interact with you at least 1 or 2 hours a day. This is important for many reasons, including allowing you to know your rats well enough that you notice any small change so you can quickly notice if they are ill.

Hope this helps
another good site is joinrats.com
and an important medical site that is vet approved is ratguide.com

Here is a cage calculator to help you decide if a cage has enough cubic feet http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

Last edited:
SQ covered a lot😁. They make grate pets and are very smart. Mine all come to there names when called my girls are hipper and like to come to me and run back to there cage over and over. And my boy cuddles the hole time he's out. It's easier to get a young rat to bond and be comfortable being held. Older rats that haven't been held much take time and effort but it's worth it in the long run I have 2 old girls that hated Bing held when I got them now they are the first to come to me to get out and be held. Each rat has different personalities and are unique in there own way. Your cage is grate but SQ is right the wood will start to stink because the rat pee will soak in. But you can make levels for them with all kinds of thing's SQ helped me with idea's. You can also hand make hammocks,beds,tents,toys just make sure to wash them as rats will most likely pee on them. As for water bottles I'd use a outside hanging one on your cage or a glass one for the inside because they love to chew on them. If you use a dishes use a heavy one because they don't tip and spill.ceramic ones work good because the don't tip as easy. And mine have never chewed on there's so it's lasted a long time.

What if I cover the wood shelves with cloth or fabric? Would that help? Or what are some ideas as replacements? I also have megazorb that I use for my gerbils, is that okay as bedding for the bottom of their cages?

Last edited:
They will pee on the shelves and will soon need to be replaced.
What are the dimensions of the cage?
You can make levels from very strong and sturdy baking/cooling racks and cover them with dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and cable tied on

btw, girls have over an 85% change of getting mammary tumours and ist they get one, they will get more. Spayed girls have a 3% to 4% chance of getting mammary tumours if spayed at a young age - I have never heard of a girl who was spayed by 4 months of age developing mammary tumours. Spaying girls also prevents or helps to prevent other serious health issues. But it is essential that you have a vet that has the knowledge and experience to safely spay rats - most vets do not. And it is not inexpensive

Back