Need advice?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmrhayner

Hi guys. So a friend called me today and asked if I had room would I be willing to take in a few more rats, I agreed to take them and went to meet up. Well long story short I now have 3 new female rats two that have baby's and one that was pregnant and by the time I got home had the baby's in the carrier. The person who had them had them in a tiny cage that was nasty ( there where maggots in the litter box that was over flowing) and a dead male rat next to it. her excuse was that her ex left them and she hates rats. Well now I have 3 adult rats that are skin and bones that are nursing What can I feed them to help gain weight? And is baby shampoo safe to use to clean them and there babys? And should I keep them together as they were or separate them.

I normally give baby food to my rats if they are poorly and need to put on weight: they like the veggie and sweet flavours but are generally not so keen on the meaty ones. Scrambled egg is also good and my rats love it. You could also try warming the food a little bit to make it more tasty, to try and get them eating if they are feeling poorly from being neglected. Anything high calorie and easy to eat should be good for them.

I have previously been given Oxbow critical care formula by my vet. It is a powder which is made up in water. You can give it them to drink or I have mixed in into Nutella or baby food to give an extra boost to the food. It is supposed to rehydrate and also to provide all nutrients and so would be good if you can get hold of some.

I don't have experience of large groups of rats, but I would be tempted to keep them together for now so as not to stress them.

Best of luck with the rats and I hope that you manage to nurse them all back to health.

OK so I put the momma's all together in my large bird cage that I converted into a rat cage. Has small bar holes so no one can get out. I have baby formula would that be OK to give to help with weight anyone know ? I already have baby food and cereal that I have started to give and was looking up to see if pedielyte is safe (don't think I spelt that rite.)

I would not use baby shampoo .... if necessary a damp unscented baby wipe to gently clean them off

the soy infant formula is fine
babies need colostrum for the fist few days from their mama or they will not survive unless you buy some from a vet and feed it to them
I posted on your other thread

http://ratguide.com/breeding/postpartum/lactation_and_milk.php

http://ratguide.com/breeding/postpartum/maternal_behaviors.php

http://ratguide.com/breeding/baby_development/birth_to_weaning.php

Glad they have you, wish I lived nearby

Last edited:
My friend new I wouldn't say no. And she didn't want them to stay with the other lady. And she's right I couldn't say no.

Back