Hard swollen abdomen?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for bumping this years later

This sounds spot on to what's happening to my little one. She's a bit over 2 years old and she seemed super bloated, I actually thought she was pregnant, except for the fact all of my rats are girls. The following day the hard-ish "bloating" went down slightly, but it is now a bit less swollen, except now I can feel the lump in her lower left abdomen (lower stomach?)
She drinks so much, and still eats a lot. This is all spot on except her poop is how it usually is, (very dark, not dry), and if anything she's gaining weight rather than losing. She started peeing on me when i noticed it a lot more than usually, like within 10, 15 minutes she peed on me 4 times. Normally she'll only pee if she really needed to, and only once during the time of having her out. My rats eat a whole lot of sun flower seeds, regular cheerios and lettuce (I make them pasta and other cooked foods they can eat, just not as often)
What they are given with that varies, because my grandmother gets food for me to give them (or if I'm not around she'll give it to them without asking if its okay to feed them) some things I know arent terrible, but some things I tell her not to give them and wont give them it myself. Those things, would be bad things with preservatives like little bits of bologna, left over hamburger (im okay with this one in moderation) and bacon or ham. Do you think any of this could be a cause? or even if it's not let me know if shouldn't continue to let it happen.
I'm sincerely worried for my baby girl, i hope i can help her. I've been working on getting her to a vet.

It's probably best to start a new thread for your girl but if she's older it does sound like an internal.mass in her abdomen. Keep an eye on her health and comfort and let her go when it's time. It sounds like you have a lot of protein in her diet which is hard on an aging rats kidneys. Low fat, low protein, low salt is the best diet for rats. How old is she?

Back