Question - rats and dogs

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airaveth

I have three dogs, and two of them go crazy barking when they see FedEx or other dogs outside. If I get pet rats, would their barking be too much for the rats? Would it scare them or stress them out? The rats would be in my room, and the dogs bark on the other side of the wall.

It might spook them a little at first but they will get use to it! I have three dogs as well and their barking doesn't bother the rats at all.

Loud unexpected noise does startle mine, and they absolutely dislike the vaccum cleaner immensely, but If the noise is something they hear a lot they just start to ignore it. I play a lot of music loudly, including kawaii metal and mine ignore it because they are used to it.

Some of it depends on the rats. Our current bunch don't care if there are dogs barking nearby or at the vet's office. When we had Murdock and Wilson, though, it terrified them. When they were at the London Humane Society, they'd been housed in the same hallway as small, yappy, sick dogs. Hearing dogs in the next room at the vet paralyzed them with fear.

If the rats you get don't have prior unpleasant experiences with dogs, they should be fine once they're used to the sound.

Back