The Rat Shack > Rattie 911 > Health and General Care > Senior Rat Mammary Tumor With Milk

Help Support Ratshack Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
BrendaLee

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Senior Rat Mammary Tumor With Milk

Our senior girl Mizz, who is 3+, is currently at the vet recovering from a mammary tumor removal surgery. We weren't going to put her through surgery due to her age, but the tumor was growing very quickly, and she's still a happy, relatively healthy little ratty, and within a month, she would have had to be PTS, so we decided to take a chance. The doc said the tumors contained milk, which I'm assuming means high levels of prolactin in her system. I'm thinking this possibly means she has a pituitary tumor that is yet to show symptoms, though I'm not sure if that's necessarily the case, but her daughter died in April from a PT.

Has anyone used bromo successfully post mammary tumor removal? I have some here and was thinking it would probably help with the prolactin whether or not she has a PT and possibly prevent the tumor from growing back. The other option I am considering is melatonin, which I believe also decreases prolactin.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 519 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 1267

I haven't but rats have a difficult time tolerating bromo

You might do an advanced search on the topic as people who rarely come on here may have tried it.
You might also want to ask on the facebook group, Real Rat Lovers Want To Know

good luck

Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Old 06-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1523 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 195

I've never done that but I wouldn't be opposed to it especially at her age and the fact she underwent surgery which I would have done as well if I were in your shoes. Also, dex and/or pred also helps alleviate PT symptoms.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
BrendaLee

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

She ended up chewing her stitches out the morning after surgery and had a gaping hole. We took her back to the vet, and he stitched her up again. We asked him to do a body wrap, and it's working out well, but she's pretty depressed with the whole situation, poor girl. I'm not sure what we're going to do about meds yet, but the first step is getting her healed up. I'll probably try melatonin and switch to bromo if she starts showing PT symptoms or the tumors start to grow back.

Last edited by BrendaLee; 06-19-2017 at 06:14 PM.
jorats Likes This 
Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #5
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1523 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Good luck!