The Rat Shack > Rattie 911 > Health and General Care > How old do my rats look?

Help Support Ratshack Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #11
Sheldon
Rataholic

Liked 567 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Awesome mom. I do remember the pee smelling a bit from the boys. I think that calms down after a neuter.

Bonus pets (fishes )
RIP Gollum, Carnival

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2017, 12:16 AM   #12
dspch911

Liked 1262 Times on 1019 Posts
Likes Given: 1096

I currently have 3 - five weeks old boys and 4 - 9 weeks old boys in addition to my other boys that varie in age and none of them have smelly pee..... Could be a UTI, keep an eye on it. Might just be because they need fluids. Keep feeding them healthy food only - no more yogies like in the picture... lol

Forever in our ;'s: Curley, Finn, Oliver, Popper, Snickers, Kona, Grumpy, Sebastian, GMC, Bumbles, Throttle Wotysg, Jack, Axe, Peanut, Lovee, Sonoma, Birney, Streaker, Wally, Newton, Stewart, Tucker, Clark, Bristol, Eldora, Torres, Belle, Sneezer, Hank, Flora, Weston, Zeus, & Elle
SQ Likes This 
Old 05-18-2017, 12:45 AM   #13
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 519 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 1267

pee should not smell different at that age .... they may need more fluids or there may be a health issue
Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Old 05-19-2017, 12:52 AM   #14
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1523 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 195

I agree, make sure they have access to water. Their urine should not smell foul.
SQ Likes This 
Old 05-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #15
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 519 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 1267

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspch911 View Post
Keep feeding them healthy food only - no more yogies like in the picture... lol
Just so you are aware, the recommended diet for rats is :
a good quality block available at all times (Oxbow andHarlan Teklad 2014 are the best two)
daily vegs
and occasional healthy treats such as a piece of fruit, seeds such as organic pumpkin seeds, cooked cereals such as organic 12 grain cereal, cooked quinoa, etc

Avoid any foods containing added sugar, added salt or added fat
(among other things, sugar feeds cancer )

Here is one of many good, informative links on this site http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3708

good luck
Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Old 06-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #16
MarleyBear

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

JUst wanted to update everyone! Sadly I don't have pictures to show right now, but I'll try later!
In the last couple of weeks, they've been eating plenty of fruits and veg and also are eating tekloid growing blocks! We've also gotten them to use their water bottle now, and kept a close eye on them to make sure they were drinking it, and they're super healthy!
They've grown... considerably! Super big now, put on a decent amount of weight and have gotten more proportionate. They've also calmed down a bit, but are still kind of jittery and shaky when held. My boy is always trying to wiggle out of our hands and escape, while the lighter boy is very calm and cuddly. I've never had a boy that is so hyper and wants to run!
Also wanted to see what would be best in terms of litter boxes and toys; do you use ones with grates, or no grates? And also, are there any toys you could recommend? My local pet stores sell neither litter boxes or rat toys, but I have heard bird toys work just as well, and wanted to know what you guys could suggest!

jorats Likes This