Senior Rat Mammary Tumor With Milk

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrendaLee

Our senior girl Mizz, who is 3+, is currently at the vet recovering from a mammary tumor removal surgery. We weren't going to put her through surgery due to her age, but the tumor was growing very quickly, and she's still a happy, relatively healthy little ratty, and within a month, she would have had to be PTS, so we decided to take a chance. The doc said the tumors contained milk, which I'm assuming means high levels of prolactin in her system. I'm thinking this possibly means she has a pituitary tumor that is yet to show symptoms, though I'm not sure if that's necessarily the case, but her daughter died in April from a PT.

Has anyone used bromo successfully post mammary tumor removal? I have some here and was thinking it would probably help with the prolactin whether or not she has a PT and possibly prevent the tumor from growing back. The other option I am considering is melatonin, which I believe also decreases prolactin.

Thoughts?

I haven't but rats have a difficult time tolerating bromo

You might do an advanced search on the topic as people who rarely come on here may have tried it.
You might also want to ask on the facebook group, Real Rat Lovers Want To Know

good luck

I've never done that but I wouldn't be opposed to it especially at her age and the fact she underwent surgery which I would have done as well if I were in your shoes. Also, dex and/or pred also helps alleviate PT symptoms.

She ended up chewing her stitches out the morning after surgery and had a gaping hole. We took her back to the vet, and he stitched her up again. We asked him to do a body wrap, and it's working out well, but she's pretty depressed with the whole situation, poor girl. I'm not sure what we're going to do about meds yet, but the first step is getting her healed up. I'll probably try melatonin and switch to bromo if she starts showing PT symptoms or the tumors start to grow back.

Last edited:
Back