One-Eye and Boi the meeces!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingRats0408

So I'm back on my feet a little more stable. I have reopened the rescues doors (sort of) slowly. Many have been emeegency situations and my heart nearly breaking for these critters.
The newest two additions are two wee mice boys (6weeks old)
I just started working at (the best) Pet Valu store in Sarnia. We had two female mice come in pregnant just before I started and they gave birth within hours of each other 22 babies total. Through the weeks 8 of the babies passed away. :(
When I started 2 weeks ago the babies were just starting to wean and eat on their own and since I'm the resident "rodent girl" now they asked me to keep my knowledgeable eye on them. So each morning I counted the babies, checked to make sure the mommas were eating and getting a break (set up a second cage for an hour of quiet time for the mommas a day) I named the mommas Rose(Boi's mom) and Tulip(One-Eye's mom) though the mom's shared caring for the babies. Last week I separated the boys out and noticed the wee-est boy (One-Eye) had a nasty swollen right eye, it was closed and gooey. I kept my eye on him and let my manager know.
She said it was my judgement what we did with him...so I took him home. I didn't want him to be lonely so I also picked the cute wee boy with the lovely pattern (Boi).
They are so sweet. They come to the door to say good morning, they love pumpkin and melon seeds and its been great for hand training. They like to hang out on my arms when I'm watching TV.

This is One-Eye 1 week ago (foggy, puffy eye)
7de4587888e2ad2b37afca717ffe7775.jpg

Tonight (no swelling, clearer)
9e57834a5c11032c3faa0d04b3388a32.jpg

And Boi
fd0b10b5358ac2b5efaceb11a40d7a14.jpg

41e6cee423a100533f18986629ac21a5.jpg

My meece boys![emoji176] [emoji193]
e096f939f5cb0d66b28d312b609a08e1.jpg

Last edited:
oh I had no idea that mice could come in different colors like that! I thought they were always solid white or gray or brown

cute little buggers!

so you've got your own place now? last I recall you were at your mom's and couldn't have the rats there....?

oh I had no idea that mice could come in different colors like that! I thought they were always solid white or gray or brown

cute little buggers!

so you've got your own place now? last I recall you were at your mom's and couldn't have the rats there....?
I am back in Sarnia. My (ex)fiance and I are seeing a counsellor and working through communication between each other.
I am living at the same house. We are on opposite schedules so its not overwhelming seeing each other.
We are just in a talking place but things have been much more relaxed and bareable.
My mom's house was a long way from anything familiar and with her and my dad working on their relationship my counsellor thought it was a rather highly influential (negative or positive) environment and I was less likely to do what I wanted and more apt to feed from my parent's comings and goings. So once I knew I had work again I moved back and settled in.

Boi would be considered a Fancy Mouse much like a Fancy Rat. He would be separated from his solid white brother who would be sent as a feeder. Thankfully at our store they are being left up front in the "pet" animals area. His mom is a beautiful solid black girl with a fawn belly. She's very sweet as well. If One-Eye was a girl I would have picked her to be the buddy.

Updated pics of the boys and their mousie bachelor pad :)
One-eye, who has 2 healthy eyes is so outgoing and brave. He gives me kisses on the fingers and climbs like a monkey on my arms.
Boi is shy but still gives the odd special kiss on the hand. He's so handsome. They love their little bean and seed mix which is usually a friday treat but I work all night Friday so whats a day early?!
24d018f1c5f95d35616376a55f189c3d.jpg

1af21578c1b42a4b3d3a55be11eed0b2.jpg

81335ffac02e871f3804f2cbf4c1f173.jpg

4bede584742b87be221e286d88a35322.jpg

6cf6ab58644f9d686390d13ed518d127.jpg

They are so good. They have never tried to even step away from me. When I clean their cage they free play just like the rats but with a slightly modified space so's not to overwhelm them.
They don't even attempt to check the bar spacing or small spaces for weakness. They are happy to stay close! :) my sweet meeces

Getting tans in 3 weeks i cant wait, im getting the last few things done on there cage!

hahaha, oh my you must try to get a photo of them
I miss having intact males, I grew very fond of their goolies
soft warm pillows that they were, made great neck warmers
First of all the mice are very cute and glad things are looking up for you. Sorry for the temporary thread hijack, Petunia your too funny - goolies - our poor Jack has HED and is tripping over his as he drags his back feet.

I'm glad to hear your boys are doing so well. I will be very curious to see if they can continue to live together all their lives, as most male meeces have to be solitary, but you do hear of these stories of siblings living together all their lives.

I have a second cage on standby in case they decide to not get along but as far as things go they seem inseparable. I don't even know if they are related at all. The litters from the two mice mothers were raised together and I think the mom's shared care. They are full grown now. Their 'goolies' are fully descended and prominent haha
They sleep a lot. I only hear them wheel running after 9pm rarely earlier, the lazy bones. I feel like I could potty train them somewhat as they used their food bowl as a pee potty over the last week. I added a few empty bowls with some paper pellets to see what they would do. So far they have marked them but not a full pee by the looks of things. They're surprisingly less smelly then I had thought two boys would be. But its like no smell for 5-6 days then 'boom' mouse stink so the cage cleaning is pretty routine. I give them fresh papertowel for nesting every 2 days so I think that helps. They are adorable and just so friendly.

Suddenly and very unexpectedly Boi passed away this morning just sometime before I got up. He was just there still soft. Thought he must have just been sleeping in a strange place but he was gone. He was fat n healthy last night begging for food as usual. He had a piece if carrot and a leaf of spinach. Nothing he's never had. Not sure what happened but I'm to exhausted with all the loss lately to try and figure it out. He was only about 4 months old

Back