Masking meds for those stubborn ones.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have been giving Sheldon Bromocriptine since yesterday and apparently the stuff is worse than meloxicam. I have tried both peach and bubble gum flavor and after the experience she behaves like I've assaulted her. Any suggestions for this particular med on a flavor that works? Mind you she won't go for the medicine balls. It has to be liquid.

I've got a pretty easy method that's worked for me, it just involves a bit of trickery :devil: I would break off the ends of veggie straw chips and fit it around the syringe tip. I'd hold the veggie straw bit out for them to bite on to, then quickly shoot in the Baytril while their mouth was wrapped around the chip. Even after one of my rats got wise to it, I was usually able to get him if I was a little persistent :dance:

One of my boys is on antibiotics right now, but luckily he's a sweetie about taking his meds. My boys are already used to having a nice warm bowl of oatmeal every morning in the winter with whatever fruits we have on hand, so I just make him a small bowl of oatmeal(I use soymilk instead of water if I can).

I've been mixing in a single bittersweet chocolate chip each time when I heat it in the microwave, mush it up, and he's just loving it. I can mix his meds right in and he gobbles down the whole bowl. Hehe, I'm sure he doesn't mind much! I'll probably try using a bit of peanut butter next time too to see how he likes that in case he gets tired of just the chocolate chip oatmeal.

Back