An Ontario Vet to Avoid

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehganxo

Well, when my girlies had their URI I took them to Dr Sabah Mobarak at the Blackburn Animal Hospital in east Ottawa. I was completely unimpressed with the way he handled Ellie and Rosie. He was rough, did nothing to make them feel safe or comfortable and he even a scruffed them while force feeding them their first dose. Ellie was so petrified she jumped into my coat and hid, shaking like a leaf. When I put her back into her little travel box, she dug right under the bedding and hid like her life depended on it.

My total bill for the exam, medication and a $15 bag of Oxbow rat food was just over $280.00. This morning I spoke with Anita of OPRat Rescue and she also had the same feelings about this vet. He charges over $100 to put rats to sleep and he even misdiagnosed a tumor as an abscess and charged her EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS. She also said she knows many people who have been ripped off by this vet and OPRat Rescue does not use or recommend him anymore. He is just in it for the money and has very little concern for the comfort of our fur babies. Please avoid this vet!

Those prices sound ridiculous. The $100 euth fee is absurd, since some people will opt not to see the vet or just won't be able to afford it, and an animal suffers. Awful.

Exactly. Anita said she wished she could find a way to "out him" and I thought word would get around quite quickly on this forum. I truly regret him being my girls first vet visit. :(

If it has not been done already, you might want to stat a new thread about vets recommended in your area for treating rats.

thanks for sharing the info.

Those prices sound ridiculous. The $100 euth fee is absurd, since some people will opt not to see the vet or just won't be able to afford it, and an animal suffers. Awful.

Before I was told about Dr. Munn at the Greenwood Park Animal Hospital I was taking my ratties to Riverdale Animal Hospital.
They charged 150.00 per rat to have them pts.
I had 2 at one time and that was $300.00 before the other charges.
My fat cat Jaggy had a blocked bladder.
The story is here.
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16260&highlight=jaggy

Dr. Munn truly loves his job and all animals.
When putting my three fat bottomed boys to sleep last year he stayed with me.
Wally, Poppet and Tofu were cuddled, kissed and loved.
Dr. Munn gave me the loveliest gift of words after they were gone.
'You are such a wonderful rattie momma." "They were the healthiest sick rats he'd ever seen."

They all had lung abscesses.:cry5:
The photo was taken not long before they were pts.
I spent thousands before Shelagh told me about Dr. Munn.
I still spent a lot there as well but with 19 ratties it couldn't be helped.
Fair prices with everyone having a wonderful attitude and work ethic.

It's unfortunate that not all vets are as experienced as others and those that aren't should mention that. In Sudbury, almost all vets refuse to see exotics except for my vet. There is one that does procedures but those rats simply end up at my vet's for corrections. Vets need to know their limitations and be frank about them. This is different from vets wanting to learn and do more and do better.

Exactly jorats. Like, the fact that this guy charges over $100 for euth. is criminal. "Oh yes, of course I treat pocket pets" but what they fail to mention is that it's because they can charge a heck of a lot more and "treat" more animals, therefore, MORE MONEY. Ugh. Makes me sick.

Back