A photographic journey through Dudley's bite wound +recovery

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

One day when I picked up my boy Dudley I felt something strange on him. Upon further inspection, I discovered he had a big scab on his side, and a small bump above the big scab, about the size of half a pea. I cut the hair back so I could see better.

2DudleyJuly302012_zpsf9e68781.jpg

1DudleyJuly302012_zps649ff06d.jpg

I decided to keep a close eye on it. Four days later, the large scab was almost healed, but the small bump had not resolved, and started getting dark in the center.
3DudleyAug32012cropped_zps92172f59.jpg

After 5 more days, the bump was completely dark. The skin was dead. I decided to try and pop the bump. It was stinky! I then decided to cut the black skin off so that the abscess was open and could drain and dry up. I used a small pair of sharp scissors. There was no bleeding at all. Then I flushed it under running water in the sink.
4DudleyAug82012cropped_zps2d66d388.jpg

The next day I flushed it again under running water in the sink.
5DudleyAug92012cropped_zpsf0276744.jpg

Five days later the area is almost completely healed. He had no medication, just rinsing for a couple of days. It's amazing how quickly and well they heal!
6DudleyAug142012cropped_zpsa84fa5eb.jpg

Back