Is Dr. Benjamin at the Sackville Animal Hospital?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, we just called them today for pricing for my male rat to be neutered, and it was $220. That seems almost double other clinics! I have a great recommendation from Joanne on a vet in Mahone Bay, but since we are in Sackville, I wanted to price check locally, and let me tell you, and so far even factoring in gas, it is much cheaper to do it in Mahone Bay. Let me know if you find anywhere cheaper. Thanks

It is pricey and Joanne has had great luck with her vet....I have 3 of her girls that were fixed and they did great. I had my Wilbur to Dr. B and for the first visit it was $120 for a check up, teeth trimmed and some antibiotics ($15 of that visit). I do not blame her for Wilburs death but wonder if I had taken him to a more experienced vet if he would have done better.

Bela, I was surprised your little Wilbur lasted as long as he did. the surgery was very necessary, so don't double guess yourself, I think it was just not to be.

Please do not use this vet,
In my opinion, she does not know much about rats and takes unnecessary risks :sad3:
If, a few years ago, I had followed this vet's instructions when I took two boys with respir issues in to see her, my rattie boys would have died.

When I lived in Nova Scotia, I tried quite a few vets in the Halifax and Dartmouth areas.
The only trained exotic vet in NS at that time, said I knew much more about rats then he did.
I was unable to find any vet that was knowlegeable enough about respir problems in rats, much less anything more complicated.

Joanne has spent a great deal of time checking out vets in Nova Scotia over the last several years.
Please pm her for vet recomendations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whether baby Wilbur needed surgery is a matter of opinion,
especially since he was starting to grow and thrive with the excellent care he was recieving from Bela.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removal of the front teeth of a rat is extremely dangerous ... both during surgery and for months afterward.
The two extremely experienced rat vets in Ontario may have a good sucess rate with this type of surgery, but they are an exception.
There is no vet in Nova Scotia, that I am aware of who is qualified to do this type of surgery.
I have had many rats who needed their front teeth trimmed every week or two weeks for their entire lives.
They did fine and did not require this risky, life threatening surgery.

An excellent rat vet who I trust, after much research and consideration, relunctantly agreed to remove the front teeth of an otherwise healthy adult rat with serious teeth problems. The rattie was owned by someone who used to be on this forum.
The surgery was painstaking and sucessful as the rattie did fine.
The front teeth, however, eventually regrew.
This rattie was very fortunate because the teeth regrew into her mouth, not up into her brain or in some other direction.
That vet said he would never do this type of surgery again.

Any vet in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick that recommends this surgery and offers to do it, is a vet I would have serious doubts about.
This surgery is rarely, if ever, necessary and it is extremely dangerous,
especially if not done by a trained, certified, exotic vet specializing in rats, who has sucessfully performed this surgery many times.

Back