Rats and euthanasia

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MMak said:
Called to make an appointment for Marco this upcoming Tuesday...
I asked my vet what method they'd use and apparently they will sedate him first with an injection of canamine in the muscle (not sure where though?)
and then to euthanize, he will be given a euthanol injection in either the abdomen or chest.
I asked the receptionist if they would consider giving him gas to sedate him instead, but she didn't bother asking the vet and just said probably not because thats just the method they use...

Does this method seem fair?

I´ll probably be :redhot: for this, but I think that´s how they do it over here..
I don´t know what they use tho, just one injection to sedate and one to pts..

Thank you, Shelagh!
Good to hear it's humane. I will be in the room during the entire thing, anything I should prepare for? Is there a chance he may squeak a bit while getting sedated?
It's definitely going to be hard... but I'm trying my best to keep positive. I've had a lot of double whammies this past month, it seems.. one thing after another. However, I've reached the point where I can no longer be too sad about any of it. Things happen in life and I knew my rats weren't immortal when I adopted them... I can only be thankful that I am able to say my goodbyes and that he had the chance to live a decent length of life surrounded with hammocks, toys, food and companionship.

I know we have had conversations about the method... some people do not think it is acceptable, others do. I don't know enough to make an informed opinion but I did have a rat who was euthanized this way and she seemed to have a calm and peaceful passing. Just so long as they wait long enough to make sure the sedation has taken full effect.

Is there a chance he may squeak a bit while getting sedated?

My vet had to use that method on Mia as she was hemorrhaging from her nose and mouth. She put the needle in her thigh and there was a bit of a squeak but more annoyed than pain. When she was sedated she took her to the back for the last injection.

Back