Huron Valley Rat Rescue - Ypsilanti, MI

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoA

Who We Are

Huron Valley Rat Rescue is a not-for-profit, privately-run rescue located in Ypsilanti, Michigan. We rescue and adopt out domesticated pet rats in Michigan and surrounding states. Our first priority is to assist local shelters and other small animal rescues by taking in their surrendered rats. We do take in owner surrenders as space and funds permit. HVRR does not purchase rats from pet stores, herpers, or research facilities, nor do we supply to them.

There is no surrender fee for rats, but donations (monetary, supplies, cages, etc) are greatly appreciated. HVRR runs entirely out of personal assets and donations from the public. We hope to be applying for 501(c)3 status in the coming year.

Adopting a friend

Adopting a rat from us is not difficult. We like a chance to get to know you and to determine the right fit for your family. Adoption fee is $20/rat (unaltered rats - $10) to partially cover costs of spay/neuter and quarantine. Rats must be adopted in pairs unless joining resident rats, as rats are highly social animals and need company. HVRR rats WILL NOT be sold as feeders, for laboratory use, or for breeding.

Why Spay and Neuter?

All rats at HVRR are neutered or spayed prior to adoption, health and age permitting. We do this for several reasons, including population control. Altered rats are also far less prone to contracting reproductive cancer and mammary/pituitary tumors, both of which are extremely common in rats. Neutered males generally mark less than intact males, and altering decreases urine odor in both sexes. Altered rats are also much less likely to fight amongst themselves. Finally, spaying and neutering our rats allows our adopters the freedom to choose either sex as a companion for current residents!

When you adopt from HVRR, you pay only $20 for a companion that has been assessed to the best of our ability for health and temperament, with a lifelong return policy. Most rats are already spayed/neutered for a fraction of the cost elsewhere. Plus, you give a loving home to a homeless rattie, allowing us to rescue more rats in need! How can you beat that?

Our Adoptable Pet List!

Oh, ive been looking for a rescue in Michigan, yay! I found your site or whatever that's linked to petfinder. I'll check it out!
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

I have adopted many rats from HVRR and they have all been wonderful little furbabies!!! or in the case of Princess Arden, Voldy and the much beloved late Caleb..nakkies!!!!

I suggest you look them up and see what ratties are in need of a good home, you will not regret it!!!! :D

Wow. My husband just pointed your rescue out to me, and we are DEFINITELY going to be keeping you in mind when we have our vet fund refilled, and are ready to adopt more. Your neuter policy and adoption fees are out of this world! Makes me wish we could take some right now!

Back