Rats and their teeth

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Rat teeth are often a concern, it is often asked if they are too long or why are they orange/yellow or white.
I've taken some response from experienced rat owners and compiled in this sticky so it's a quick and easy find.

Vanessa's post on teeth trimming:

I am always a 100% supporter of providing rats with necessary vet care in order to ensure that they remain healthy and happy and live the longest lives that they possibly can. However, I always balance the risks of every procedure against just how it will improve the rats quality of life.
I will only ever, EVER have any rodents teeth trimmed under two circumstances.
1. The rodent suffers from malocclusion and without trimming their teeth on a regular basis they run the risk of their teeth puncturing the insides of their mouths and causing life threatening damage. To tell you the truth, with this case I would rather consider having the rats teeth surgically and permanently removed based on their age and health, than cause them the stress of having them trimmed all their lives. I have only had two rodents ever, one rat and one Syrian hamster, that fell into this category. Totem, the rat, only had them trimmed once because he was close to the end of his life and he died naturally before he needed to have them trimmed again; and Abby, the Syrian hamster, who had to have them trimmed every two to three weeks for the remainder of her life which was about a year after I adopted her.
2. The rodent is no longer able to eat any hard foods themselves and run the risk of starving or dying of malnutrition. I have never had any cases where this has occurred, and I am sure that out of the 60+ rodents (rats and Syrians) that I have had there have been plenty where their teeth might have been considered longer than average. This has probably occurred most often when I have had an ill or recovering rat who has not been eating properly and whose diet I have been supplementing with softer foods because they have not been well. As the rat has felt better and recovered, they have trimmed the excess overgrown teeth themselves over time, and then gone back to maintaining them normally.
Over the years I have heard of many cases where people have had their rats teeth trimmed, necessarily or unnecessarily is irrelevant, and an accident has occurred during the procedure that has resulted in a tremendous amount of sometimes irreversible damage being done.
There have been cases of splintering, cases where the teeth have been completely broken, cases where the rat has had such extensive pain and bleeding that it was a horror show and the rat would not eat after leaving the vets office.
Those rat owners have either had to face having their rats teeth trimmed either for the rest of the rats life, in which case they have had the rat destroyed, or trimmed regularly for a considerable amount of time just to get them to the point where they were all growing normally and the rat could go back to keeping them maintained themselves.
Accidents can occur during this procedure regardless of how extensive your vets knowledge of rodents is, how many times they have performed the procedure, and the tools that have been used to perform the procedure. You can have the very best vet combined with the very best of equipment, and still there is a risk that you can do more damage to their mouths that the teeth really were at risk of doing prior to the procedure.
I would always, always allow a rat to trim their teeth naturally and try all other options for normal teeth trimming before having them trimmed by any vet. As long as they are eating normally and are active and happy, and do not risk having the teeth do damage to the insides of their mouths, then chances are that the rat will eventually wear them down themselves or they are getting along just fine having them a bit longer than necessary.
Now, if the rat whose teeth were trimmed was not eating hard foods properly, was acting as if they were in pain or discomfort from the length of their teeth, or were running the risk of damage to the insides of their mouths, then I apologize. It was absolutely a necessary procedure that the vet did.
Any vet that I would consider to be a good one would look at all other options before manually trimming their teeth because they are aware of the risks of the procedure and do not take it lightly. They would look upon this procedure as a last resort and not a first resort. It has been my experience that those vets that I consider the top of the line when it comes to rat care have always taken that route and left the trimming as a solution that was unavoidable in the end.

Healthy teeth are yellow/orange but some rats' teeth will become white. My vet has told me that this is usually associated with sick rats.

Here's Vic's reply:

Anemia in rats is most often caused by kidney failure. The kidneys produce erythropoietin, the hormone responsible for red blood cell production. When kidneys become diseased they fail to produce the hormone in large enough quantities and so the body doesn't produce red blood cells.

The enamel in rats teeth is given it's distinctive orange colour by the presence of iron compounds in it. The iron gets there via the bloodstream, contained in the red blood cells.

So kidney failure = not enough red blood cells = not enough free iron to form enamel = white teeth.

Hi friend !
I will say thank of lot for this job you are rally minded
person about this topic it it so nice way to share their knowledge
with all the friend at this forum .

Reading the article above it seems highly unlikely, but I actually have a "category #1" rat. :roll: :(

My Lefty somehow lost one of his upper incisors, and so his teeth grew crooked. I've tried to have his 3 remaining incisors removed, but this turned out impossible, as his lower incisors just wouldn't come out. He now only has the 2 lower incisors, and they need to be trimmed every 2 weeks. Lefty has got his teeth trimmed 13 times already, so needless to say he now has the tooth trimming blues. :lol: :cry:

- Theo

Puzzle's maloclusion became evident around six months of age; I suppose he grew into it. The bottom are fine, the top grow out. I can't afford to spend $27 every 3 weeks to have his teeth trimmed by my vet so my stepfather helps me. I restrain while he clips. Dr Keir showed me how it's done and sold me a pair of small nail clippers that work like a charm, I just make sure they're kept sharp and replace them regularly. The possibility of splintering at home or cracking scares me every time so I make sure the cut is quick, strong and steady. Puzzle is a real trooper and my stepdad is so awesome. :heart:

The info on white teeth is very useful. Puzz has white teeth [always has] and I've noticed that they're more brittle, coming off in pieces rather than chunks if that makes sense to you. What do you think would improve his iron levels? Should I start feeding more banana and other high iron foods or can rats have a supplement like us? I'd be very interested in attempting a diet change to see if there's any improvement.

Edited to add that one of his lower incisors recently broke. Poor bugger.

Jo in regards to what your vet said about White teeth; is that always true?

I had heard that white teeth could be malnutrtion when the rat was youngr and even if they on a proper diet now that doesn't mean the teeth will turn yellow again.

If this white teeth thing is in fact true I'm going to be in big trouble. I had 15 rescue rats here at one time and I believe 12 of the 15 have white teeth. Why would some rats have white teeth and not others. All 15 of the rats are directly related. Help.......anyone. :sad3:

This thread really has me on edge. Is white teeth kidney failure or kidney disease? If its kidney disease it there anything I can do to prolong their life? Is their life span going to be extremely short because of this?? Are they going to suffer, be in pain etc. Right now they all look SOOO perfect and if this is the case, I'm going to need so much support. Would the kidney problems be hereditary, inbreeding or poor diet and restricted feeding patterns?? I want to arrange to have them all spay, would I be jeopardizing their health further by doing this???
Can anyone provide me with information regarding rats they have had with white teeth. Were their lives full and long or gloomy and short. Is this in fact why Luna is always sleeping!! :sad3: Thank god my vet is coming this week, I hope she has lots of time for questions. :cry4: Its Thanksgiving.......is there really anything to be thankful for?????

I have had many rats rescued from horrible conditions that had white teeth.
While the white teeth may indicate long term health issues such as kidney disease, the rats have lived normal rattie lives and appeared to be as healthy as rats with orange teeth.
Hope this info. helps.

SQ said:
I have had many rats rescued from horrible conditions that had white teeth.
While the white teeth may indicate long term health issues such as kidney disease, the rats have lived normal rattie lives and appeared to be as healthy as rats with orange teeth.
Hope this info. helps.
HELPS!!!!! You have know idea just how much it helps Thank you.

OK, so yesterday my vet came to the house to do a basic examination on my 8 ratties. Of course I brought up this "white teeth" thing. She told me white teeth can be several different things or a combination of things together. All ratties start off with white teeth and gradually change colour if they change at all. Kidney disease, meds, malnutrition, lack of the iron containing pigment during development as well as simple but complex genetics can cause the teeth to remain white. After looking over each and every one of my little critters she feels, in my case, based on the physical exam, some of our rescues have white teeth most likely based on heredity. She told me to look long and hard to figure out who the original breeding pair was and I would find that one of the two parents would in fact have white teeth. I went through the rescues and she made up a quick "family tree" based on the info I gave her. The conclusion....Boe aka Gaston and Momma aka Poupet appear to be the original breeding pair. Although Mommas' teeth are yellow, Boes' are in fact white! She told me not to read to much into it that all the rats currently in my possession and the 15 I originally brought home (looked back to August roughly 2 weeks after I took them in) were and are in excellent condition and should live a normal and healthy life provided they are cared for properly.
This made my day happy :bunnydance:

That's good news. :) It makes sense and I'm now wondering which parent of Osiris and Puzzles' has white teeth 'cause Osiris has nice orange chops.

Back