Revolution

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
I dosed my boy Radar (thanks for the dosage Shelagh) but now I want to know how long before it's safe for me to touch him and not be worried to transfer the buggies over to the other rats?

From what I have researched and found out with experience, the adult buggies are all dead within hours, but to play it safe make it 12 hours. After that when the nits hatch they will take their first bite and die. They won't have any time to jump ship...err...rat. :lol:

When I dosed Starla, I saw improvements so fast. Within 24 hrs her scabs were gone. She still scratches a bit but the vet told me that would go one for a couple of weeks.

jorats said:
Melissa, did your vet dose with Revolution?
The vet I went to was a... um, well not that educated about rat. I have no idea what she would of dosed if I didn't come in there asking to use revolution because I already had it at home. She told me to dose her with 1.0cc and when I talk to Shelagh she calculated .03 cc so that's what I did. She didn't even kow if I could use it on Starla pregnant and all she said was since they can use it on pregnant dogs and cats I should try it but couldn't guarantee anything. :roll:

Oooh, that's scary. Thank god for our Shelagh!

Revolution is still "off label" for rats so this is one reason why my vet doesn't want to use it. So I go to Shelagh too. lol

Yep, I love Revolution too, my new boy came home with mites. One dose, 1 day later, he's well on the way to meeting Juneau firstly, then Chaska and Silva, hopefully things will work out :D

Aww, well hopefully he'll be able to go with his new friends soon :D I haven't used Revolution on rats yet, but next time any of them seem to be getting bugs, I'll for sure have to try it! Seems much easier and faster than Ivermectin paste :)

Eeeek! Shelley, who's in your avatar, what a sweetie!

The thing with ivermectin, it's so much more economical when you have a gazillion rats.

Hehe, that's my little agouti variberk Mora, your boys sister ;) I still have lots of Ivermectin around, I had to dose in the Spring all my ratties, and it works fine, but I tend to be awful at remembering to dose once a week. I always forget to give it to them for the second and third time. :roll:

I've got Revolution (in Denmark called Stronghold), how much should I dose? I was told one drop pr 100 gram rat and to do it twice with 14 days in between. And did any of you do it on pregnant rats (luckyly I have noone pregnant, but just good to know)?

Bati said:
I've got Revolution (in Denmark called Stronghold), how much should I dose? I was told one drop pr 100 gram rat and to do it twice with 14 days in between. And did any of you do it on pregnant rats (luckyly I have noone pregnant, but just good to know)?

Did you know that I sometimes get up early so that I can answer any questions you may post early morning (for me :roll:)? LOL

Okay, here Revolution comes in 2 different strengths. Puppy/Kitten/Cat/Small Dog is 60 mg
And then there's Dog at 120 mg

Do you know the strength of your Stronghold?

Hmmm...gotta love Google
Yours come in 30, 60, 120 and 240 mg strength's
Stronghold is selamectin which is the active ingredient in Revolution.

Here is the ratguide's page on Selamectin.
http://ratguide.com/meds/antiinfectives ... lution.php

we usually dose at 6 mg/kg, so for example;

A 400 gram rat using the 60 mg/ml Selamectin would get .04 cc's
A 400 gram rat using the 120 mg/ml Selamectin would get .02 cc's.

Stronghold also is a monthly medication so I would think every 2 weeks is too much. If you have a nasty infestation going on you could do a 2nd dose at 3 weeks just in case..

http://www.animalmedicines.co.uk/produc ... 208&page=1

When my mom brought in her whitecoats to the vet, she told her we did a Revolution treatment and she told us that was good and to do it again in 7 to 10 days. I wonder why that is... On our dogs, it's always only once a month.

jorats said:
When my mom brought in her whitecoats to the vet, she told her we did a Revolution treatment and she told us that was good and to do it again in 7 to 10 days. I wonder why that is... On our dogs, it's always only once a month.

She's probably thinking Ivermectin, since she is used to not having Revolution.

She's used to Revolution for all our dogs though... so she does indeed knows about it. Does the ratguide guide recommend once a month as well?

jorats said:
She's used to Revolution for all our dogs though... so she does indeed knows about it. Does the ratguide guide recommend once a month as well?

the first recommendation is once a month

Selamectin Topical Application: (mauve packet labeled for kittens, concentration listed above under Availability)
6 mg / kg once per month

the 2nd is a bit different
Selamectin Topical Application: (mauve packet labeled for kittens, concentration listed above under Availability)
4 mg / kg to 8 mg / kg once per month or up to once every two weeks based on veterinary assessment.

Back