What's in your first aid kit?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should say on the bottle. If you have baytril tablets, that should last a couple of years but if it's the oral sweetened kind, it's only good for about a month.

and to add....

Revolution in an unopened tube will last a long long time

Amoxicillin sadly according to Ratguide.com

For oral suspension shake well, refrigerate, and discard any unused portion after 10 days.

tablets of course are different.

My first aid kit is really deficient in medications. I don't have any Revolution, Doxy, activated charcoal, saline, or Ringers solution (I don't even know what that's for; time to go Googling), for example. I do have a bit of Metacam and I always have a spare Clavamox bottle and a bottle of Baytril.

The Snuggle Safe is great for rats that need warmth. They can put as much of their body as they wish over it. Postal scale is very useful. I got some styptic for cuts, but it seems to sting so I went back to flour.

Most of my first aid kit is made up of left over medications, or things that I use regularly enough to purchase often. My vet trusts me to make my own suspensions from pills and powders, so she gives me mostly those. They don't go bad like a flavored suspension will, and I can just make it up as I need it. The gauze, vet wrap, etc.. are all available at any pharmacy.

I once found a link, here in the rat shack, to a list of meds that are available for treating our little ratties many different illnesses. If anyone has the link, please post it again. I think the list is on the RMCA website. Ive searched it and am unable to locate the list. thanks jul/dee

Back