The Rat Shack > Rattie 911 > Health and General Care > Tips for when your rat has a tumor?

Help Support Ratshack Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:26 PM   #41
FattoRatto

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It has been a week now and I haven't really noticed any growth, maybe very slightly. (Compared to the first one that grew very fast and was the size of her hip within a week) I have cut all sugary treats out of her diet (mainly that means no more Cheerios-her favorite ), should I cut out fruit as well do you think? Now the main treat I give her is broccoli which she really enjoys and I read helps slow the growth of cancer.

Her main diet now is mixed seeds & nuts with some dried veggies and fruits, grains and extra nutrient bits thrown in as well. Then every so often, I give her some fresh fruits or veggies, I try to do so at least once a week. Any other recommendations?

Tumors are so freaky. I like to think I carefully check my pets for health things but these tumors really took me by surprise. It really feels like one day there's nothing there and the next bam lump.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2018, 12:42 AM   #42
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 540 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

Glad it is growing slow

As far as I know, it is just added sugar you have to worry about, so fruit is good to feed her

Hope you can find an alternative to the cheerios .... mine enjoy organic kumut puffs (a cereal too)

The recommended diet for rats is a good quality block (Oxbow or Harlan Teklad 2014)
plus daily vegs and occasional healthy treats such as berries, fruit, cooked grains, organic pumpkin seeds etc

So I would be concerned as to if she is getting proper nutrition ..... I don't know a lot about nutrition but I would suggest fewer nuts and seeds and a wide variety and a lot of vegs, and fresh or frozen/thawed vegs and fruit - some types of vegs need to be cooked such as cooked sweet potato ....... and mine love baked squash, etc

hope this helps

Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Last edited by SQ; 01-15-2018 at 12:47 AM.
FattoRatto Likes This 
Old 01-16-2018, 02:18 AM   #43
FattoRatto

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks that is very helpful, I didn't know they should be having veggies so often! I will add more to her diet.
SQ Likes This 
Old 01-16-2018, 06:30 AM   #44
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 540 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattoRatto View Post
Thanks that is very helpful, I didn't know they should be having veggies so often! I will add more to her diet.
Mine love baby kale, broccoli, cooked sweet potato, mixed greens, baked squash, frozen thawed peas, small pieces of raw organic carrots, cooked carrots mashed into cooked sweet potato, a few cooked chickpeas, a few cooked kidney beans, and they like it when I make homemade vegetable soup (no added salt) containing legumes, split peas, barley, and vegs.

Mine also love cooked oatmeal with wild blueberries

Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses
FattoRatto Likes This