The Rat Shack > Rattie 911 > Health and General Care > Emergency: I think my rat is having convulsions

Help Support Ratshack Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #11
lilspaz68
Administrator
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1430 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 732

A few doses of Carprofen should not cause this issue. I think there was something else more neurological that happened. Possibly a stroke. I'm so.sorry for your loss.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #12
arthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ View Post
I am so very sorry for your loss

I am very sorry your boy is all alone
It sounds like you are right to be worried as he will miss his friends

You could see if there are any shelters or rescues that might have 1 or two older boys that would be company for him ....... perhaps a rescue would allow you to foster
You can check animal rehoming sites like Kijiji to see if anyone is rehoming an older boy

Spend hours each day with him,
- keep his cage near you or in an area where there are people and talk to him,
- get him a small stuffed toy to cuddle with - one that does not have small part or stuffing he can swallow because he will chew it.
- keep cloths etc in his cage that smell like you and also like his missing friends for him to cuddle/sleep in
-Tempt him with his favorite foods and make sure he is eating and stays well hydrated (dehydration kills) because he may become depressed and stop eating and drinking.
In addition to his regular food, he might like soft foods such as his blocks soaked in cool water to make mush, cooked and mashed sweet potato, frozen/thawed peas, baby food, organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal, watermelon, a piece of ripe banana, etc If you syringe feed him make sure it is only a drop at a time into the side of his mouth so that it does not go into his lungs

Please let us know how he is doing
Hopefully others have suggestions

good luck to both of you
- I'm spending more time next to him. He doesn't like people touching and grabbing him, so I grab him for 5 minutes a few times every day, let him and his home with me on the bed at night (I go to sleep very late so I'm spending almost the entire night with him on the bed) and I also let him walk around my bedroom at night when I'm awake. Yesterday he was only sleeping, but today he's more active.
- I'm still looking for places where I can foster an old rat to make him company.
- Besides the cage, I'm letting a corner of my bedroom for him, so he has a bigger space to stay and I'm always close to him.
- I gave him a stuffed toy that has Nick's smell and a cloth with Toddy's smell. There's also two little houses where Toddy used to sleep a lot. He's sleeping more in those places than in his favorite house.
- He wasn't eating much yesterday, but today he seems to be eating enough. Besides his regular food, I'm giving him baby food and popcorn (his favorite snack).
We're having trouble with the water. He's simply not drinking it. The only liquids he drank for approximately 24h were:
- a children's vitamin (I used to give it to the four boys everyday by their vet's recommendation. He drank 0,1ml of it yesterday and 0,1ml today)
- a natural juice (I don't know how to translate its composition to english and google isn't helping. But I told the vet about it and he said it was okay for them to drink it. He drank about 0,4ml yesterday and the same dosage today)
- He ate a few pieces of watermelon and pear but soon he lost the interest in it, which is strange, since he always liked watermelon.
- I gave him Nesquik with water and he loved it, but I imagine Nesquik is not that healthy to be drank constantly.
- I tried giving him water with a syringe, but he fought and I couldn't even put the syringe in his mouth.
Basically he's drinking different liquids I offer him but he refuses to drink water. I checked his bottle, changed the water and everything's alright, but he doesn't drink it.
What should I do? Should I take him to the vet?

Old 01-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #13
arthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
A few doses of Carprofen should not cause this issue. I think there was something else more neurological that happened. Possibly a stroke. I'm so.sorry for your loss.
I agree with you. Even though the Carprofen seemed to play a part in it, I don't think this was the only problem.
Basically, he had a appointment with the vet that day and he always get stressed by it, so I didn't worry when I saw that he didn't ate or drank water while we were there and during our way back home. I don't remember how he was before the appointment, but he got more stressed when the vet grabbed him by his neck (I mentioned he used to bite sometimes, but I could hold him while she examined him. Yet, she grabbed him this way and he got very scared.) After the appointment, I had to stay with them on the car because my mom had to do some stuff. The temperature was normal, he had food and water and I even brought his cagemate with him so he could be calmer. It wasn't our first time doing this but Toddy didn't seem to be well the entire time. So I decided giving him his first dose of Carprofen. I didn't have any spoon to put the med and give it to him, so I tried putting the syringe in his mouth - while we were in the car, in the dark - I accidentally pressed the syringe and I was 90% sure the med didn't get even close to his mouth, so I gave him another dose (it also looked like half of it fell on his cage). He didn't get better when we got home and he got worse about 11PM.
Toddy lost a lot of weight (80g in 3 or 4 days), he wasn't feeling good that day and after the appointment he got even worse. I wish I could know exactly what happened. The Carprofen made the situation worse (and there's also the possibility of this double dose), but there was something wrong before that.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:39 AM   #14
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 540 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur View Post
We're having trouble with the water. He's simply not drinking it. The only liquids he drank for approximately 24h were:
- a children's vitamin (I used to give it to the four boys everyday by their vet's recommendation. He drank 0,1ml of it yesterday and 0,1ml today)
- a natural juice (I don't know how to translate its composition to english and google isn't helping. But I told the vet about it and he said it was okay for them to drink it. He drank about 0,4ml yesterday and the same dosage today)
- He ate a few pieces of watermelon and pear but soon he lost the interest in it, which is strange, since he always liked watermelon.
- I gave him Nesquik with water and he loved it, but I imagine Nesquik is not that healthy to be drank constantly.
- I tried giving him water with a syringe, but he fought and I couldn't even put the syringe in his mouth.
Basically he's drinking different liquids I offer him but he refuses to drink water. I checked his bottle, changed the water and everything's alright, but he doesn't drink it.
What should I do? Should I take him to the vet?
I would suggest organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal as it will contain a lot of water and help keep him well hydrated. I am caring for an elderly rat who drinks little water from his water dish, but loves the organic soy baby formula .... he wasn't hydrated enough to pee when he arrived here but now is well hydrated (and pees a lot) ....... I buy the powdered formula and mix it up with water .... sometimes I mix in a little bit of his block mush.
Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Old 01-15-2018, 02:26 AM   #15
Sheldon
Rataholic

Liked 575 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 8

A double dose would not likely cause toxicity after just one occurrence like that. Donít beat yourself up.

As for the liquids with your other boy, Iím glad heís staying hydrated. Water would be best, but honestly any fluid you can get into him is good.

Bonus pets (fishes )
RIP Gollum, Carnival
SQ Likes This