Making Baytril Otic At Home for Rat Eye Abscess Infection

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallblossom

Is it possible to make .3% BAYTRIL EYE DROPS out of 10% injectable baytril? I called my vet to book an enucleation for my rat and was told he is off sick and may be back next week. There are no other vets who will do the surgery (I trust my vet as he's done six tumor removals for my rats).

Currently my rat is on baytril (I read zithro or septra may be better at penetrating). My rat clearly needs a topical antibiotic but I am not sure what formula I'd follow to make an eye drop at .3 w/v. I have distilled water here for dilution. My rat desperately needs help. He is 26 months old.

I would definitely keep the eye moist with those tears solutions at the store. Also, maybe you could use polysporin eye drops? It does contain anitibiotics for pink eye. It's a far fetch...but better than nothing. I hope you get better answers on FB.

you could start him on baytril orally, if you think it is needed ..... ask a pharmacist which eye drops to use as some will sting etc

My rat is on baytril. A vet tech gave me the formula to make baytril eye drops and I used eye wash as a solvent/suspension (or whatever the liquid is called that the baytril goes into).

My rat likely has a brain tumor which is pressing on the optic nerve causing the eye to bulge. His other eye is also looking odd as the pupil is clear/see through (not cloudy like a cataract). A brain tumor would cause the eye lens to be affected.

When my boy starts to loose condition, he will get help crossing over to free him from pain and discomfort.

ETA: My rat could also have an abscess in his eye.

Last edited:
why do you want to use baytril to treat a brain tumor?
because you have not mentioned anything about an infection .... http://ratguide.com/health/eyes/eye_infections.php

The eye was prolapsed which means it was susceptible to infection. Preventing infection was the goal.

At present the eye drops I made are helping. My rat's eye is no longer prolapsed. Instead it is normal sized but still affected by whatever caused the prolapse. He has also been on oral antibiotics.

My gut tells me that his eye will rupture. If it does it will be flushed with a saline solution twice per day and given eye drops three times per day to get rid of whatever bacteria is there.

The vets are closed today so suggesting I take him will be doing so in vain, however, If my vet is feeling better this week he will be seen. The eye may rupture before then which I have no control over.

Attached is a photo of my boy's eye. As you can see the eye's condition has improved.

Last edited:
Back