Chance of Vet failing to properly neuter?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaginon

Hey, I got my female rat neutered a couple of months ago. She along with her brothers are allowed to free range my apartment at the same time now she is neutered.

Anyway, about a month back she really started to pack on weight and started to look rather roly poly. It bothered me as she is still quite young and i had never had a rat gain so much weight so fast. I discounted pregnancy as the vet had neutered her hadn't she. And it was a surgical spaying not a chemical one. So I just thought maybe the spaying had affected her to make her more likely to put on weight.

I see her every day (in the evening and the morning as she comes to visit me for attention and treats, but otherwise she does not roam as much as the boys and stays sequestered). This morning I saw her, and I noticed, she is back to being rather sleek. Not only that, when I look at her belly, I can see her nipples distinct from her fur. (and I am fairly sure that never used to be the case, they were hidden by the fur).

Thus here I am, worried the vet's surgery somehow failed and that I have a nest of babies under my bed. Is this a possibility or could it just be the extreme summer heat (it is consistently ranging between 30-40 celsius during the day) that is responsible for the weight loss.

If she was spayed properly, then she can not get pregnant.
Pictures?

But I do not know your vet so personally, I would make sure she does not have a nest somewhere.

When was she spayed? You said a month ago she started to put on weight. Gestation is only 21 to 23 days so she would have her babies by now. If she's really that big, I'd bring her to the vet for possible tumour or pyometra

Back