Rat scared of cagemates

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aljabl

I recently got a new female baby rat. She was quarantined for about a month, as she had a respiratory infection. When I began to introduce her to my two other females, I followed all the guidelines. They interacted fine on neutral ground, in my lap etc- no fights or anything. However, when I put the new one in the cage with my other two (Freshly cleaned, and I moved the toys and items around), she immediately ran to the corner, where she stayed for around 45 mins until I took her out. During this time, the other two girls would go over and check her out, and even tried to sniff and play with her. Whenever any of the other girls got close to my new one, she would freeze with her head slightly raised and squeak until they left. They did not bite or bully her. I am no longer putting her back in the large cage, but I am still letting them free roam together. should I wait until the new one is older until I try to put her in the cage again? has anyone else had this problem? Thanks :)

How old is the little one? You could use tough love and just leave her in the cage and let the rats sort it out. If she's a scared rat by nature, it might take you a long time before you can add her to the cage without her being scared.

As Jorats said, how old is she?
It is unfortunate that she is alone as babies need another baby to play with. She would also find it easier to intro if she were with another baby.

Did you do neuteral area, familiar area (such as their play area), and fnally do a cleaned cage with everything rearranged so that it is not anyone's territory?

Personally, I would spend a lot more time on neutral and nonneutral area intros - such as their play area, slowly lengthening the time they are together (and supervised by you) from 20 mins initially to several hours. I would also get another baby around her age if possible. ......then after they have been fine spending several hours together many times, I would do a cleaned cage intro.

See http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368 and joinrats.com

good luck

As Jorats said, how old is she?
It is unfortunate that she is alone as babies need another baby to play with. She would also find it easier to intro if she were with another baby.

Did you do neuteral area, familiar area (such as their play area), and fnally do a cleaned cage with everything rearranged so that it is not anyone's territory?

Personally, I would spend a lot more time on neutral and nonneutral area intros - such as their play area, slowly lengthening the time they are together (and supervised by you) from 20 mins initially to several hours. I would also get another baby around her age if possible. ......then after they have been fine spending several hours together many times, I would do a cleaned cage intro.

See http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368 and joinrats.com

good luck
Thank you for that link! I will definitely refrain from putting my little one in the bigger cage. She is about two months old. I’ve been putting her with my other girls in a bathtub, and they slept in a pile :) However, when one of the older rats tried to groom her (not barber, she was gentle) my little one squeaked relentlessly! So far there have been no fights or scuffles between the rats.

Back