Will bigger baby rat bulldoze his smaller brother?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alyssamia21

Hi! I'm sorry I don't know if this is the right place for this question. I'm a noob to both this site and rats themselves. I'm planning on adopting these two baby dumbo rat males from someone and I'm concerned that the bigger one might hurt the smaller one. I've included pictures of them and will try to include video. Thank you in advance!

P.s. the babies are almost 3 weeks old now

They are very adorable and no, rats will not hurt each other at that young age. They will scuffle from time to time but that's not normal interactions for them. Make sure you adopt them at a safe and healthy age, not before 5 weeks old.

If they are baby boys they will need to stay with their mom until they are 5 weeks old. If they are baby girls they should stay with mom until they are at least 6 weeks old. Btw it is normal for babies to wrestle and play with one another so if you see them doing this when they get older, don't worry that they are fighting.

I hope you check out the different sections of this forum for ideas and info about cages, toys, diet, litter, etc.
If you have not already done so, find a good vet knowledgeable and experienced in caring for rats. Having a good vet is essential because by the time you notice a rat is ill, you are well into a medical emergency.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions
And congrats on your new babies :)
good luck

Thank you both so much for your responses! I feel much better now. I've done tons of research and have a veterinarian set up <3 thank you again!

Back