Adopted from feeder breeder

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxymachado

I got my two girls from a breeder who said they were socialized, but when I got there I realized real quick by her wall breeder tubs that she was a feeder breeder(snakes gotta eat too, I know!). So my issue is I was trying to use treats to buy their trust, but they WILL NOT take food from me. They weren't eating or drinking in general till I covered their cage with a towel. But if I lift the towel and put something super yummy in there, they will hide and wait till they have ABSOLUTE privacy.
Any suggestions?

20171205_210059_Film1.jpg

20171205_210111_Film1.jpg

20171201_105921_Film1.jpg

They are so adorable! They look older though. Do you know their age? There's a fantastic website that has great ideas for trust training: joinrats.com
I wouldn't cover their cage, it will make them more scared each time you remove the cover.

sweet little girls !
(and No! snakes do not need to eat too -+ they do not belong in captivity, btw, this is a rescue site)

Work slowly on trust training (joinrats.com is helpful as Jorats mentioned) and they will gradually trust you more.

I have had many ratties rescued from snake owners and they will learn to trust you.

The lady told me that they were 15 to 17 weeks. Do they look older than that? I'm wondering cause to me they look full grown, I'm just wondering if you think they will get bigger?

the reason why I asked about weight as that might help us to better answer your question.
Depending on how large your hands are, they look like they are a pretty good size, but they could grow larger, depending upon their genetics

Last edited:
I hope not she said that they were full grown, honestly, I really wanted a young just Werner pair. My thinking was the younger a got them, the stronger and faster they would bond with me. But last night they started eating off my finger. My hooded(milatas)nipped me, for the second time��. I'm hoping that it's not going to be a normal thing(it's the second time, the first time I had my hand in her hide the)

Rats are full grown at about 6 to 7 months.
Your little guy might be nipping because he is worried and unsure what he has in front of him. Continue trust training and don't cover the cage anymore so the rats are part of the family and everything that goes on in the room. Always be talking to them and interacting with them whenever you are home.

Thank you for the advise! I officially took the cover off this morning, I figured with the big step of taking food from me(even locking off my finger), that they are comfortable enough to not hide the whole time.

Back