Need advice on playtime

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur

I have three boys, they're about 22 or 23 months old (all the same age) and I didn't used to put their out of the cage to play until about less than one month ago. I started putting them on my bed so they could run and explore a different place. The first three or four times they seemed to enjoy it or at least be interested in it. But after a few times they almost didn't do anything but sleep on a box I left on the bed even if they were completely active inside the cage.
I adopted them when they were about 1yo and they didn't have much contact with humans until that time, and even now I'm not able to hold them without stressing them, so I imagine playing with them wouldn't help.
What else can I do to distract this boys?

They are older rats now, that's usually the time that they sleep more and are not as active especially if they are somewhat overweight. But you can try playing with them using cat toys, like make them chase a string or perhaps put a cheerio on a string and make them go after it. Or you could try those kitten treat balls where you have to move the ball to make the treat come out.

you can also lie down and read or watch tv and let them climb on you, snuggle and explore

they might also like new things to explore such as tubes, shredded or crumpled paper in a box, a box of socks with treats such as organic kumut puffs (organic grain with no added sugar etc) hidden in it

Last edited:
Back