Tyme Tea

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph

94fee08d673ca6821074afd9d4b2874b.jpg

Saw this on Facebook. Was wondering if this is valid? It's an interesting idea.
Didn't know dark chocolate was supposed to help?

I can't find any reliable source that says thyme tea is definitely helpful, just maybe helpful.

I did check this page about using it for HUMANS and the possible side effects would cause me to think twice about using it for rats. If it was certain to help, maybe.........

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...veingredientid=823&activeingredientname=thyme

"Thyme is LIKELY SAFE when consumed in normal food amounts. Thyme is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken as medicine for short periods of time. It can cause digestive system upset.

Thyme oil is POSSIBLY SAFE when applied to the skin. In some people, applying the oil to the skin can cause irritation. But there isn’t enough information to know whether thyme oil is safe to take by mouth in medicinal doses.

Special Precautions & Warnings:

Children: Thyme is LIKELY SAFE when consumed by children in normal food amounts. Thyme is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken as medicine for short periods of time. There isn’t enough information to know whether thyme oil is safe for children when applied to the skin or taken by mouth.

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Thyme is LIKELY SAFE for pregnant and breast-feeding women when consumed in normal food amounts. But it’s not known whether it’s safe to use thyme in larger medicinal amounts. Stick to food amounts if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.

Allergy to oregano and similar plants: People who are allergic to oregano or other Lamiaceae species might also be allergic to thyme.

Bleeding disorders: Thyme might slow blood clotting. Taking thyme might increase your risk of bleeding, especially if used in large amounts.

Hormone-sensitive conditions such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids: Thyme might act like estrogen in the body. If you have any condition that might be made worse by exposure to estrogen, don’t use thyme.

Surgery: Thyme might slow blood clotting, so there is some concern that it might increase the risk of extra bleeding during and after surgery. Stop using thyme at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery."

well, I would not risk giving thyme tea to my boy Haskell as he has a heart condition and I don't want to do anything that could affect his blood clotting (he's on metacam which can affect clotting in people, so I don't know.... blood clotting is a very complicated and sensitive thing, with lots of factors involved...)

I did find one reference where a person let their rats chew on thyme leaves with no ill effect.

and then i found this disturbing page where they injected rats with the essential oil, doesn't really give much detail as to why (it was an IP injection, into the body, seems like that would hurt)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25145237

but apparently thyme is good for your teeth, maybe *I'll* try chewing some...

it has such a strong flavor, I can't imagine rats like it, but who knows

you got me very curious now.

Last edited:
Dark chocolate doesn't help. I wish people would stop recommending that as an aid for respiratory distress.
As for the thyme, I'm not aware that it's that good... in fact, reading what Petunia found on it... I don't think I would give that to rats.

Dark chocolate doesn't help. I wish people would stop recommending that as an aid for respiratory distress.
As for the thyme, I'm not aware that it's that good... in fact, reading what Petunia found on it... I don't think I would give that to rats.
Me too, but don't mention that on a certain fb site or you'll get kicked off for speaking against the "gods that be"

Really?
I was always told that dark chocolate will help to keep an airway open in an emergency so that you hopefully have time to get them to a vet ...
although it isn't something I do (may have tried it once about 10 years ago ...)

any references for research?

As for thyme, it doesn't sound good, given the links posted .....

Last edited:
I would think the caffeine in dark chocolate would have a positive effect on respiratory distress. But thank you guys for the information

I did check this page about using it for HUMANS and the possible side effects would cause me to think twice about using it for rats. If it was certain to help, maybe.........

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...veingredientid=823&activeingredientname=thyme

Please note that Webmd is NOT considered a reliable source in the medical community. They tend to overstress potential side effects, likely to protect themselves legally in case someone does experience them. For example, a bee sting COULD cause an allergic reaction that leads to swollen, obstructed airways and even death, but odds are it won't happen to most people, and bees are by no means considered to be deadly insects.
Best to follow the links posted that lead to actual scientific studies with research data and sources of funding publically available. (There are good ones posted here)
Good rule of thumb though, when giving something new to your pets, research the aforementioned CREDIBLE sources & keep a close eye on your animal to see their reaction.

😊😊😊

Back