Baby in really bad shape might be passing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmrhayner

Hi been a while I have a baby in really bad shape that someone dropped off in a box at my door. She's losing her Balance not taking food or water and can't keep her own body temp up. She took some fluid s yesterday by a dropper and I can't get her to take them today what do I do. Is it to late to be able to help her?

Hi been a while I have a baby in really bad shape that someone dropped off in a box at my door. She's losing her Balance not taking food or water and can't keep her own body temp up. She took some fluid s yesterday by a dropper and I can't get her to take them today what do I do. Is it to late to be able to help her?
O and I can't get her to the vet in till tomorrow

O and I can't get her to the vet in till tomorrow need to know what to do in tell morning

If the baby can not drink it may be dehydrated and need fluids from the vet.
Baby will need antibiotics ..... clavamox and azithromycin (10mg/Ib to 15 mg/Ib) are safe for babies but baytril can be given as well - baytril must be given by mouth because of the serious health impact of injection in rats.

how old is the baby? Are the eyes open? Can you give us a pic or video? Is its a domestic or a wild baby? If baby is tilted and circling it could be inner ear infection or just weakness. Can you hold her to your ear and listen to see if her breathing is rough, crackly or wheezing?

I once had a baby that looked really sick, I kept him warm and give him fluids and after a day or two he recovered. But if respiratory, infections... the baby needs a vet.

Back