Tumour removal in elderly rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Rattie

I have a rat who is two years and two months and she had one mammary tumour removal about eight months ago. She has lately developed another mammary tumour which has got quite large and is over to one side of her body, so not effecting her movement too much.

She has had a chronic URI for a few months and been on antibiotics, also her back legs have been deteriorating over the last couple of months and she pretty much lives on one level of the cage.

I wasn't going to have the tumour removed because I didn't think that her health was good enough and it wasn't fair to put her through surgery. However, now that the tumour is getting very large, I am now thinking that maybe I should consider a removal to make her more comfortable as the tumour must be getting quite heavy.

She is still very bright and eating and drinking as normal, just showing the normal signs of old age. I would be very grateful to hear any opinions: I don't know if surgery would really be best, or whether I would be doing it for selfish reasons to make me feel better, rather than my rattie. I want to do the best for her in her old age so would welcome any advice :)

It all comes down to quality of life. If the tumour is really restricting her mobility and she is unable to play, eat, and groom normally then you should seriously consider having it removed. If she is perfectly happy and able to function, and since she is elderly, you might ought to leave things alone. Is she otherwise healthy?

I would say that she is otherwise healthy, but her mobility is already effected as well by her hind leg weakness. She has been on antibiotics for the last six months or so as she does have a chronic URI (completely under control with the antibiotics, so no problems).

She is perfectly happy at the moment but I am concerned with how large the tumour is getting. I may take her to the vet for an opinion. I have usually not had tumours removed in more elderly rats before, once they start to slow down, but this one is big and I know that it will soon be too large to remove.

I am now thinking to leave it, but don't know what to do for the best. My previous rats have with tumours have died of other causes, rather than the tumour but I hate to see her current rat with the lump so large.

Back