Handling Hormonal Male After Surgery

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trosit

Hello! I posted recently that Ivory would be receiving a new play mate. I just picked up Gusteau at our humane society 5 days ago and have him separate from her. However he has become extremely aggressive and has chase me to continually bite me (Hands, feet, arm) ;_; He let me do light pets on him each day before.

He has his vet appointment in 4 days where a neuter appointment will be set up. My question is how do I start handling him again after that? I'm worried about if I have to syringe him medicine. What are the odds his instinct will still be to bite? Do I have to worry about him being too aggressive when intros are done? In the mean time I'm afraid of him and don't know what to do about out time. Please advise.

You can mix up meds in a small dish so they taste good so he will eat them .... my rats think their meds are a treat

Perhaps the vet can flavour pain meds so they are appealing .... ime rats hate metacam :(

His hormone levels should start to drop in a couple of weeks but it might take a month ..... every rat is different so you will need to get your cues from him
People also wait 2 or 3 weeks after a rat neuter to make sure sperm is dead before introing to an intact girl

hope the neuter settles him down

There may be some helpful info here joinrats.com

When my babies are under the weather and need meds that aren't flavored, I pull the amount of meds I need into the dropper and then pull a little baby food in with it.

Back