Free range rat room, advice?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedaeza

Anyone have any advice??
1.5 weeks ago, I "adopted" two female rats from a girl who was being evicted from her apartment, they're almost a year old and the sweeeetest little angels. Shedaeza is gentle calm fat little agouti dumbo and Cheveyo is an active and curious little himalayan top ear with a smudgy nose. I'm so in love with them. I've been rescuing and fostering rats pretty much the last 10 years straight, but this is the first time that I live somewhere where I have a spare room, and it's not carpeted and it's PERFECT as a rat room. I rat proofed the door of the empty room, added boxes, food, hiding spots etc and let them free in the room... thinking they would LOVE it. I'm really worried about Shedaeza though, because although they both don't seem to be adjusting as well as I hoped, she is really not adjusting well. She's almost always up on one of the closet shelves looking really nervous. :( I tried moving one of the cardboard box houses into the bottom of the closet thinking she'd like that but she doesn't use it. Is this normal, in anyones experience? I know so many people have free range rats. I almost wonder if she would feel better in a cage and I can bring them down into the living room? Or will she adjust? I imagine that the last cage she was in with this girl, judging by the pictures, was pretty barren and not very large and maybe the wide open space is just a lot for her to get used to?? We also live by and unfortunately face a highway that is REALLY noisy because of huge semis that use the road through the city and I don't think that helps either. :( I'm thinking of getting them a cage (with hammocks and all the usual cage stuff) and just leaving it open in the room, see if that helps her? Any advice on what I could do to make her feel more comfortable in the meantime?? It could be a few more weeks until I can afford to buy them a cage but I don't want her living in fear until then and I worry so much when they're stressed.

In the meantime, can you borrow a cage or make a large bin cage?
I imagine that noise would be very frightening ..... hopefully they will get used to it soon
I think you have a good idea ....... I would suggest getting a critter nation cage and setting it up with hammocks, toys, litter boxes etc
Rat proof the room - such as line the walls with chloroplast so no one can damage the walls and set up their play area with boxes, fisher price and little tykes toys, tubes, hammocks can be hung under the cage, houses, a couple of litter boxes etc ..... and then you can open the cage door and let them out for hours in the play area - I have some dog stairs that are just the right height to allow my ratties to go in and out of the critter nation when they choose ...... of course they will still need to spend a couple of hours a day interacting with you ..... you might even put a futon in their play area for you to relax and watch tv on with them .......... when I had an apartment, I used to set up their play area like that - except the play area was my living room LOL and they loved it

I would definitely offer her a cage and leave the door open. Some rats really don't do well in big open spaces. Give her the choice to live in a cage if she wants too. Decorate the cage like a full rat habitat with hammocks and toys.

Back