Sneezing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I have noticed it's very dusty too. My other set of rats before these guys also sneezed when I used it because of the dust, but it never got congested sounding. That's what worries me.
I'll have to go get some more fleece then, since I don't have enough for their cage. I could probably use a towel in the mean time.

Also, the med bottle says it's a Smz-tmp Suspension. It's already a liquid, but it separates, so I need to shake it up before I divvy out portions. I have little syringes to fill up, but I have to mix it with something so the rat will take it. Too squirmy to put it directly down their throat. xD

Oh ok, so it's Septra. That's not usually effective for respiratory issues. Change the bedding for now and if he gets worse, then you could start up the SMZ-TMP or if your vet is back, get some doxy or baytril.

Rats can definitely have allergies but their triggers are usually fragrances or smoke, dust...but I can't see why they couldn't have an allergy to dog or cat dander.

I've had 2 rats that sneezed throughout their entire lives, from the moment they came home. I took my first guy to the vet, thinking he must be sick. She listened to his lungs and they sounded great, but she prescribed a round of baytril just in case. The sneezing didn't stop. I thought maybe he had allergies to the aspen bedding, so I tried carefresh, still sneezing, tried newspaper to see if it was the dustiness of the bedding, but he still kept sneezing. Same with one of my other rats. To this day, I'm still stumped, lol. They lived good, healthy lives though. :)

Hi,

I'm new to this website and sat Sneezing, which I have some questions about!!!

Is it normal for rats to sneeze a lot?

The history of my girls;

Willow- I have had for maybe two weeks now, she doesn't sneeze to much. here and there when I am home, I can't really count cause they are so spread out that I forget about it throughout the day:p

Not yet Named, :p thinking of Rose or Rosie :p This is her second day at my house now. And she sneezes A lot, I just introduced her to my father, and the whole time she was sneezing, or making dramatic sniffing sound (don't know how else to describe it, it was like she was inhaling as much as she could lol) and shes been with Willow in the same cage for a 24 hours now.

Both of them were born at the pet store I work at, during the summer Rosie being a little older the willow (maybe by a month) and unfortunately they were on pine and weren't on the best diet. Would that contribute to her excess sneezing and sniffles, adjusting to the new area? And I read some posts on here that the air in the room can make a difference. I am in the basement its cool sometimes but I keep a space heater on as well, and have an air cleaner on as well near their cage. I have seen an red crustys around their eyes at all! or around the nose.

Should I be worried that its a lung infection?

We usually call those new home sneezes. It's normal so long as there are no other symptoms like porphyrin, lack of appetite, low energy level...
Also, what kind of bedding are you using? Carefresh is very dusty and that could make them sneeze even more.

I use Carefresh, which I am going to be switching out tomorrow with something else for the bottom, to see if its just to dusty for Rosie.

Another part of Rosies history I Forgot to add, she was a young mom, as soon as she was able to have babies she was pregnant :( so shes very thin her sides go in a bit. I am not sure how to put weight back on her slowly. So she isn't very active right now just cause shes underweight I think. I am not sure if she eats a lot or not, its hard to tell cause shes been hiding since shes been here, I hear a lot of munching going on during the night, and I've seen her drink a fair bit. She play fights with Willow and wins sometimes, so i think shes okay.

neither have any signs of porphyrin whatsoever, not even when they first wake up like people say they sometimes get it.

I'm just paranoid i think cause my senior rat Lily past away I think from a resp problem, that the vet didn't catch...

Once Rosie has been with you longer, you'll be able to assess her health. She should start to gain weight and become healthier with good food and a good habitat.

I just heard Rosie wheezing. Not for long, but it was still wheezing. I've put her in a separate cage to monitor her eating and water intake. She will be having a vet visit tomorrow hopefully if I can get in. *fingers crossed* But no red coming from her nose or eyes.

Also for Rosie would Ensure work to help her with her diet? I believe its Vanilla flavour. I read on different websites that could be used but I wanted your peoples opinons :p

Do you think I should be worried about Willow? she only sneezes on and off throughout the day. but shes much more active and eats like a pig

I really wouldn't have separated the two. Rats can become overly stressed when separated which can them make them sicker.
But yes, Ensure would be good for her if she's sick.

Hey all, Instead of starting a new topic, I'll post here...

I have two 4 month old girls. Brought them home at 4 weeks and had no new home sneezes from them. A few weeks in, I noticed one had a burst of 4 sneezes after snuffling around my sofa. Breeder (whom I stay in touch with) and I attributed it to dust/environmental. On occasion for the next few months, I noticed a sneeze here and there. And then as the weather got colder and dryer, and the heat when on, there were a few more sneezes here and there. Never any excessive poryphin (only occasionally upon waking up). Never any wheezing or funny breathing noises (I do the telephone trick and hold their noses and then tummies up to my ear so I can hear lungs and heart). Never any fits.

Over Thanksgiving, I brought them home with me, 6 hour car ride. Maintaining the occasional sneeze status quo (0 to 5 times a day), they did very well and loved the week long trip. Unfrotunately, the ride home was brutal (8 hours) and I noticed they were totally beat, lethargic, one of them was sneezing a little more than usual. I gave them a warm meal of veggies, pasta, and chicken, tucked them in nice and cozy, and within 48 hours they were bouncing off the walls of their cage again.

My apartment is small, and super, super old. I know it's dusty, but I work with what I have. I now keep my apartment at 74 degrees, and 40% humidity, and run an air purifier. They have a wire cage, and recycled newspaper bedding. I notice sneezing occurs when they sniff one particular area of my sofa, or when I put bedding down and they snuff around in it.

However, while one of the ratty girls seems to be perfectly back to normal, I worry the one that was more stressed out during the journey might be sneezing more than usual (still 0 to 5 times a day, but it seems like it could be on the upper end of that scale more than in the past). The breeder told me to keep an eye on them and make sure neither get worse since they aren't showing any other symptoms besides occasional sneezes (bright eyed, energetic, good weight, normal coat). If anything they have gotten better since the trip in terms of energy. But I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinion?

I posted in the other thread. But, will say it again, if your rat is sneezing 5 times a day every day, I'd get her checked out by a vet. Just to be in the safe side, it just seems a bit excessive now.

If they came home thanksgiving they wouldn't still be having new home reactions, that should only last hours to a few days. Porphyrin on waking is not to be too concerned about, it's just a suggestion to keep your eyes & ears open for other stuff.
Rats can be pretty reactive to respiratory irritants, some more than others, yours might be quite reactive. Dry air is a common problem (for some). You can help that by placing open containers of water in their room.
Every kid is different. Main thing always is to watch for changes in their normal. On & off things aren't a big concern, things that get progressively worse are. Far as your sofa you know that's an irritant,that's good knowledge.
I don't see either of your girls in trouble really. If one sneezes a lot it could be an allergy to something. It could be a challenge to identify it. I'd just not worry unless it was really frequent or worsened. You could try kid's allergy medicine.
Unless I'm missing something I don't see any problem as long as your kid breathes freely with no distress..

my rat pepper has been sneezing ever since i bought her about 3 weeks ago.. she doesn't have any porphyrin build up around her eyes nose or ears.. only sometimes in the mornings/ after a long nap but i notice sometimes she wheezes a little and she sneezed yesterday and blew out a massive chunk of yellow snot (and then ate it ahahaha!) she seems perfectly healthy, eats all her food, has a shiny coat etc.. she does sleep a lot though, but i think it's just because she's always snuggled up under my blankets on my bed. but yeah, she's a very snuffly rat and i'm wondering if maybe it's just bc i bought her from a class tank in a pet shop (no breeders around where i live) relatively young (about 4 weeks) oooorrr maybe it's something more sinister? thanks guys xx
p.s her bedding is wood shavings but there not dusty or pine/ cedar

My little rat Lucy was sneezing a lot when we got her home and in her cage for the first time. It would stop after a couple days, but every time I changed the bedding she would start up again. Then I realized that it was the dust from the bedding that we were advised to use. So I started shredding my own paper for her bedding and she has been fine ever since

Currently I am having some issues getting in contact with a vet in my area that sees rats and has any availability. I kind of had a feeling this might happen, since it is right before the holidays.

- Both of my boys are sneezing ( not a lot but enough to arouse suspicion).
- Make almost "guinea pig" noises on occasion.
- Both rather active and eating and drinking well.
- No discharge as of yet.
- Past the 2 week mark for new home sneezes.
- Tried paper bedding (carefresh) and switched to a pellet bedding by Oxbow

I ordered some Fish Mox and Doxy. Grimm takes the Fish Mox just fine in yogurt, oatmeal, or watered down, a smidge of butter added, tiny doses of peanut butter. Brisby, on the other hand, took the meds in yogurt the first day and wants nothing to do with anything I offer him ever since. I have tried all of the above as well as diluted honey, diluted maple syrup and vanilla ice cream. I did try putting a little blob behind his ears, however, I am leery to continue this as he is not fully accustomed to me yet and I don't want him associating my hands with uncomfortable sensations behind his ears. :(

Today I am going to pick up a few jars of baby food and some soy formula and hope one of those works.

I really really love these boys and we are really starting to bond. Trying to make sure I try everything I can before being able to get them in to see someone. Any other suggestions are welcome in the meantime, in regards to what I can try to get Brisby to take the meds.

**EDIT** - Got Brisby to take the meds this morning. Mixed them with Chicken and Rice baby food. Let's hope it continues.

I will also note this is the first time I have ever had an issue with any of my rats refusing amox. Guess I just happened upon a picky baby this time. :)

Last edited:
I ordered some Fish Mox and Doxy.

Fish meds are not a strong enough for rats, and as you may be aware, amount of meds given each rattie is based on their body weight and the strength off the med.
You really need to get them in to see a good vet asap ..... you do not want an emergency over the holidays when everyone is closed.

good luck, I know it is not easy

Back