Food Do's and Dont's

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pumpkin?! I haven't seen a thing about pumpkin...can anyone tell me if pureed pumpkin is ok for the ratsies? I always have it in the house because its part of my dogs diet.​

Pumpkin?! I haven't seen a thing about pumpkin...can anyone tell me if pureed pumpkin is ok for the ratsies? I always have it in the house because its part of my dogs diet.​

Well pumpkin is the same family as zucchini and yellow squash, which I and I'm sure others give to their ratties sometimes.
Looks like pumpkin specifically may give them a case of the poops:
Link
You'd probably be best giving it rarely, although I didn't see it on any forbidden list. :)

pumpkin can help with both constipation and diarrhea in cats...

not sure what it will do for rats but mine have had some in homemade soup, they were fine. however there were other veggies and some pasta in the soup

Pumpkin is fine :) It has digestive enzymes and lots of good fibre which is why it helps with GI issues. Poops will sometimes be softer because if the increased water content in their diet but they won't be diarrhea or loose poops.

Excellent! My dog gets it because she has IBD and I have given it to my kitty when she was a tad constipated! I think I'll try a teaspoon of it to see if the boys take to it :)

Thanks for all the great info on nutrition! I've found my ratties love garbanzo beans. I include them with a variety of other foods (like kale & fresh fruit) as well as rat chow mix I get from the pet store. I noticed a couple of the items you mentioned like corn and raw peanuts are in the mixture I purchase. Are these ok?

Thanks for all the great info on nutrition! I've found my ratties love garbanzo beans. I include them with a variety of other foods (like kale & fresh fruit) as well as rat chow mix I get from the pet store. I noticed a couple of the items you mentioned like corn and raw peanuts are in the mixture I purchase. Are these ok?

I think you seriously need to stop feeding them that chow mix immediately.
Raw peanuts are on every single forbidden food list I've ever seen for rats, it can cause red blood cell clumping. The peanuts must be roasted if you give them, and should be a treat as they are high in fat.
Dried corn is not a good choice either, as it may have fungus on it, which can lead to liver cancer. Read more here.
Their staple food should not be a mix, but rather a block such as Harlan Tekklad or Oxbow Regal Rat or Native Earth.

A good quality block contains all the nutrients for rats. Those with lower protein are ideal. A mix seed or grain is a bad idea for rats. Rats will pick and choose and not get a full nutrition that way. Nuts and seeds are very high in protein and high in fat. White rice and pasta have pretty much zero nutritional value.
You could supplement the blocks, by giving more fruits and veggies, even adding sweet potato, squash.
Proteins should be at 14% of total food and fat should be under 5% of total food.

For some reason my rats don't really care for any rat food I buy and prefer the fruits/veggies. I would like to start feeding a more natural diet and only a little bit of eat food. What kind of mix would be best to make? I was thinking a variety of nuts maybe rice or pasta but I'm not completely sure yet.

On other forums and in taking a VAA course, I have read things like onion an garlic to be bad for rats not good for them.

I don't think there's any proof of this though. People are taking it from dogs I believe and we all know that dogs and rats are not the same. But if people prefer to be cautious, you can certainly stay away from onions and garlic for rats. I have not given any to mine so I can't say from experience.

On other forums and in taking a VAA course, I have read things like onion an garlic to be bad for rats not good for them.

I'm still on the fence with soybean. Especially if it's one of the genetically modified food. But organic soybeans are good, the only issue really is the phytoestrogen and this is only not recommended if you have spayed females. For intact females, organic soybeans actually helps in the prevention of mammary tumours in that the phytoestrogen replaces the body's natural estrogen. It's a small benefit but still.

I feed Muffin edamame all the time. Warmed in the microwave... She loves it!

Does anyone feed their ratties yoplait yogurt?

I'm new to rats, just bought my first one. I've feed her everything in my fridge, within reason of course. She did like yogurt, applesauce, fresh broccoli, green and red bell peppers, edamame and chips! Lol

Oh no worries I dont, i figured a handfull of food once a day is enough for all 3 of my boys, oxbow is what i feed, plus plenty of play time

Oh, geez. Really? I leave a plate of food out for Muffin along with water. Her plate consist of pet store dried veggies, nuts, seeds. I sprinkle in dried mill worms. When I'm home, she eats what I'm eating... Or at least tries it. It's usually bell peppers, grape tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, pasta, edamame, etc.....then she eats her REAL treats...loves marshmallows, Cheese It's, Special K flakes (she eats out of my bowl when I'm having cereal..lol) raisins, applesauce, jelly..... I have never thought to just give her a handful of food each day! I hope I'm not killing her...😜 She seems to be doing great and is loving her life....😍😍

from Lilspaz Rat Hospice

Quote:

Forbidden Foods List

Foods NOT to feed to your rat

• Alcohol – can be FATAL if given
• Bitter Almond – Bitter almonds may yield from 6 to 8% of hydrogen cyanide, a deadly substance.
• Blue Cheese – Contains Toxic Mold
• Chives – can destroy red blood cells and cause anemia
• Cat Food – too high in protein and fats
• Dog Kibble – as a staple it does not have the balanced nutrition a rat needs, a quality dog food can be used with special grain mixes to create a balanced staple diet.
• Egg (raw) – can contain salmonella
• Fats (from meats) – Rats do not have gall bladders and therefore they do not have the enzymes needed to digest the fat of meat (credit to spazrats).
• Garlic – can destroy red blood cells and cause anemia
• Green Bananas – Inhibits starch digestion
• Green Potato Skin and Eyes – Contains solanine, a toxin
• Leeks (raw) – can destroy red blood cells and cause anemia
• Licorice – Contains a suspected neurotoxin
• Onions – can destroy red blood cells and cause anemia
• Orange Juice – May contain d-limonene which can cause kidney cancer in male rats, but studies have shown that they would need to eat a lot of oranges to get enough d-limonene to cause these issues.
• Poppy Seeds – Can cause neurological damage, or may cause death.
• Raw Artichokes – Inhibits protein digestion
• Raw Bulk Tofu – May contain bacteria (packaged tofu is safe)
• Raw Dry Beans or Peanuts – Contain anti-nutrients, causes red blood cell clumping (note: the peanuts that you buy in stores are almost always roasted so are okay.
• Raw Onion – Can lead to anemia and an upset stomach
• Raw Red Cabbage and Brussel Sprouts – Contains an anti-nutrient that destroys thiamin
• Raw Sweet Potato – Contains cyanide-forming compounds
• Rhubarb – Contains high levels of oxalates which bind up calcium
• Wild Insects – May carry parasites

Foods to be used with caution when feeding to your rat

• Apples – Apples are fine, except for the seeds. Apple seeds contain a cyanide derivative that is deadly.
• Avocados – Avocados are high in fat and are a good treat to feed rats that need to gain weight quickly (make sure the fruit is ripe). However, the pit, rind, skin and leaves of avocados are toxic. The part of the fruit in contact with the pit has a higher concentration of toxins.
• Carbonated Drinks – Rats Can’t Burp (but they can fart) plus there is a lot of sugar and caffeine in these drinks.
• Chocolate – A very small bit of chocolate is okay and can actually temporarily alleviate respiratory distress, but only to be given during an attack, not on an ongoing basis as it will not prevent respiratory distress. This is only a short term solution until you are able to get to the vet for antibiotics.
• Dried Corn – Can have high levels of fungal contaminates which can toxic or lead to liver cancer. A little fresh corn is fine.
• Iceberg Lettuce – Full of water (which can be good), but has no nutritional value, plus may cause diarrhea.
• Peanut Butter – This can cause choking in rats. If you want to give your rats peanut butter, thin it out or mix it with something to make it less sticky.
• Bread/Crackers/Muffins – May cause choking in rats. These foods are often too dry on their own or become a solid mass while being chewed. It's advised to put something thin and liquidy on these items to prevent choking if you intend to feed them to your rats.
• Plums – The pit of the Plum has cyanogens in it, which are bound molecules of sugar and cyanide. When this bond is broken, the cyanide becomes free and able to act. The cyanogens don’t leak at all into the flesh of the fruit.

Final Words of Caution

• Mold Warning
Spoiled or moldy food can contain deadly toxins. Never give nuts, grains, vegies or other food that looks or smells odd or spoiled. Don’t buy too much food ahead. Molds can grow even in sealed plastic bags. When cutting up veggies, cut off the dried part that has been exposed from previous cutting and throw it away. If you see mold growing on a food, throw the whole thing away. Do not attempt to cut away the moldy section. Invisible mold filaments penetrate deep into the food.

• It's generally advised to remove the pit of any fruit that you are giving. "

* It's generally advised to remove the skin of any fruit that you are giving as well because of pesticides.

Last edited:
So I saw an Instagram post recently where someone said that raw peas are not good for rats? That they need to be cooked. I’ve never heard this before and it seems like a lot of people give frozen peas to their rats.

So I saw an Instagram post recently where someone said that raw peas are not good for rats? That they need to be cooked. I’ve never heard this before and it seems like a lot of people give frozen peas to their rats.

I haven't heard that …. and yes, a lot of people do give frozen/thawed peas to rats

EDIT: rats will leave the skins of peas when eating them. It is best to remove the skins from the cage. These skins become hard when they dry and if your ratties decide to eat them after they dry, then ratties may choke on them - this can kill ratties

Last edited:
I wouldn't do oatmeal every day. It is 8% fat with 4% of that fat being saturates. yikes. With rats you want to keep the good fat under 5% with little to no saturates. Also, I believe the protein is a little higher with oatmeal.
can they have cheerios? like as a treat or put a bit in for their diet

Back