Kijiji ad

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. That was powerful. It makes me so sad to imagine all of the animals that sit alone and scared at shelters, especially the ones that were at one point loved...if the word loved can be used because I cannot imagine giving an animal I love so much away like it is nothing more than a piece of trash. But knowing that their are decent people out there with a sense of humanity that take in these deserving creatures...but I know their is no way people like them and myself can take all of the animals...though I wish I could, I really do. If everyone would go to the shelter and adopt just one pet, just one...that would make so much difference. Is their a national adoption day? A day where people go to the shelter to adopt and rescue a pet? It should be a national holiday, unlike all those useless holidays out their-this one would make sence. A day to celebrate saving a life, saving your potential best friend's life, and keeping one more pet from meeting a completely unfair end. Wonder who you go to to suggest holidays?
Anywho-I just brought my new doggy home tonight-she is 8 years old and living in the shelter for almost 3 years...and I am so completely glad I am allowed to love her and give her the home she more than deserves. :heart:

I was looking for another post when i came across this and it made me shed a tear or two. i now have to cuddle with my animals and tell them i would rather give up food then let them starve or go with out metal care.

So sad, so true. Many people have no idea that animals form deep bonds and that they need the security of their routine. It must be awful to have no control over your destiny.

I even feel guilty about what happens on a vet visit day. My poor rats are snoozing comfortably and then, suddenly, I show up (must feel like the Secret Police arriving in the night) early from work and haul them out into a carrier.

So how could anyone take a 17-year-old dog to a shelter??? How could anyone have left Hannah (one of SQ's most loveable rescues) alone in a tiny cage when they moved out of an apartment? It is a miracle that she did not die of dehydration.

Ignorance is a terrible thing.

Great post...
I'm making all my friends reading this and trying to get them down to the shelters...
How can people just let their pets go...
pets have emotions.... they are not plastic toys.....
How can people be so heartless towards pets ... and sometimes even people..... :sad3:

Stumbled across this (yea, I'm a bit addicted to this place lol) and am saddened and angry.... How anyone could just "throw a pet away" is beyond me. I am copying this ad into a note on Facebook...It's not much, but it needs to spread anyway possible.

I've read this many times and everytime it makes me tear. It makes me wanna hug my babies.
How can people be so remorseless to their puppies!!!!
I miss my babies everyday when I'm at work, at a movie, or anywhere not with them!!!!!
Why can't ppl see that pets have feelings too, maybe not as obvious as human's but they do!

I found 2 stray kittens, caught them and took them to the shelter. They were homeless, living under a porch, lucky to get a meal - It was supposed to be the better thing for them, at least thats what everyone told me. I left them there for a week and in that week was plagued with feelings of guilt. I returned to the shelter the following week to find them huddled in a corner of their cage, terrified, shaking.

I knew these kittens for less then 1 hour, they were never at my house and I had not yet named them. Although I had no intention of getting cats, I ended up taking them home because I couldnt bear leaving them there.

I have NO idea how someone COULD drop off their pet that they have had for years just like that, especially after I had that much trouble with 2 cats I didn't even interact with. At this point, I couldnt IMAGINE giving my kitties back. They are mine now and they will stay with me as long as I am able to care for them. I can't believe how disposible our society has become. It's a sad day when someone can just throw a life away like that.

My rat, Roquefort, was in one, hardcore, state of depression when I brought him home from the shelter. His situation was a little different than most because he had been ignored and treated as a display object by the family who bought him. He had a clean cage, food and water but he saw no attention and had no cagemates.

He was not particularly enthralled to see me when I first went to meet him. He wasn't unfriendly... just disinterested. He wanted to go burrow in his bedding.

That changed on his first day in my condo. He was euphoric to be running in my bedroom and being allowed to explore every nook and cranny. He made a point to come and share his adventures with me every few minutes and tell me what a nasty rat Albert was.

Roquefort spent most of his time on my shoulder, looking to me for acknowledgement and affection. He spent the majority of his little life on my shoulder or down my shirt. I belonged to him and he made that clear to everyone... including my resident alpha, Basil.

In Roquefort's case, his delivery to the shelter was a blessing in disguise. Not everyone deserves to be a pet owner and, unfortunately, most of them don't figure that out until it is too late.

I do, however, agree that there are better ways to find a new home for your pet than the local shelter. The shelter I got Roque from had no clue what to do with him. He was their very first rat and they did everything wrong by him from his food and water down to his bedding.

I spent an hour educating my "interviewer" from the shelter on proper rat care and what I expected them to do with Roquefort for the remaining two days of his time with them. They now know that cedar chips are not "it" and that the Kaytee crap they were feeding him was going to make him sick.

I guess some people are just more atuned to finding out an animal's needs. Roquefort died in my arms a very sick but happy little man. I kissed his head and he licked me before he was put to sleep by one of the world's greatest vets.
:love6:

I agree its very sad :( i have a 6 yr old dog im fostering and couldnt believe all she went through and the shape she was in. some people just shouldnt own pets and only the good people realize what they are going through.

Back