Help needed for a good Christmas

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Saw this post.
Thought it might be of interest to everyone, shelters are everywhere ......

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-to- ... dZ93280450

I am stuck and thought i would see if anyone is out there, this year im stuck in the SPCA for the holidays and am seeing if anyone can maybe bring me a treat or a toy. its almost like taking a friend a coffee. or going for a drink. if there is anyone that might be willing im here all day. please stop by. we do smile to.

thanks. Hopper & friends

PS if you want we can pick anything up..

:nod: I remind all my friends not to forget the animals at the shelters at christmas.....a toy can help pass the time for an animal sitting in a cage.
I spend more on the shelter animals then I do my own family :giggle:

How would that work Velma? We can just drop by and bring all kinds of toys for dogs and cats? Do we just drop it off at the front desk?
I've always found my OSPCA to be umm... a little unfriendly and unwelcoming. Nobody can go near the cages or windows without their strict permission. And even then, they look at you suspiciously. :roll:

WHAT :shock: is wrong with shelters.......I wish you could visit us. We pride ourselves on making people welcome. We offer tea and coffee....we always have someone who can take time to walk around a show them the animals. You are more then welcome to take the dogs out back and play ball with them or take them for a walk....by yourself or with a staff memeber or volunteer......
You have to be a bit more carefull with the cats not spreading germs...but if you want to hold someone we will get you a gown and let you hold them....or we have a large playpen area where are long term cats live and we have a rocking chair in there. You can go in there and cuddle all day.
As for toys or chewys you can bring them in and drop them off or take them and give them to the animals yourself.....
We always supervise to make sure people are handling our precious kids correctly but once we feel comfortable with you you can come and go as you like........

We are not perfect but we try very hard.....I am pretty pleased with what we do......always room for improvement of course. The dogs and small animals are my area, I clean the cats, foster them and get very involved with a few but basically I let others handle that part.......
I would hate to hear someone say they did not feel welcome at our shelter....what a terrible shame. A shelter needs the support of their community....

Maybe I'm not being very fair. I'm sure they have good days and bad days and it could be that the few times I've been there, they were off their game. My mom just reminded me that they love her to bits there, because of everything we do for the rats. I think I'll pick up a few things and bring it to them.

I know what you mean, Jorats. I've started to hate going to shelters. I've been to the Ottawa Humane society a few times, and it's so small that they have the lobby filled with cages, but they won't let you near any of them. While waiting, you pretty much have to stand directly in the middle of the room and not look at the animals. They sit and watch you, and if you even just go up to a cage and look, they tell you to step back, because you're "stressing the animal".

I've also been to the Arnprior & district humane society, and they were even worse. A few years ago I was looking to adopt a dog from them, and the first time I went, the woman at the front desk completely ignored me for 15 minutes while she talked to her friend on the phone. Finally, someone from the back came and took me to see the dog I was looking at. The next time, the same woman at the front was playing pac-man on the computer and when I asked if I could see the dog again she just acted like I was totally inconveniencing her (complete with eye rolls). The next (and last time) I went I was planning on adopting the dog. The same woman at the front was talking to a friend, and I asked to see the dog again. She spoke to me the same way as before and she wouldn't even let me see the dog because I have a cat at home. She said "we don't adopt to homes with other pets" (even though the dog's description said "gets along with cats") I thought about fighting with her, but I just said "fine" and left, and never went back. I later adopted my current dog from the SPCA of Western Quebec and I was treated extremely well by the friendly staff and volunteers.

It must be an Ontario thing...

The spca in hull(right off pink rd) is very nice and welcoming; i use to work there, you can visit the animals, play, groom or walk the dogs, it still is small there too but they do try there hardest.

I do remember now going to the ottawa one they do not let anyone to the dogs or cats saying that it does stress them out and maybe it does, when you go to the ottawa one you hardly hear all the dogs barking,where's at the spca one in hull they bark quite a bit.

Yeah, that's the SPCA where I adopted Jade. They let me take her for a walk, the front desk staff were very friendly and during the interview they brought her out again and showed me all the commands she knows. They also told me how to pronounce her name...which was really good since I had been calling her Jade and trying to get her to sit in english, but then they told me that she had come from a french home, so her name is pronounced Jade (rhyming with mad as opposed to, in english rhyming with made) lol I had wondered why she looked so confused when I told her to "sit" :wink:

They also gave her a bath once the adoption was finallized and before she got into the car. They even gave us donated sheets for her to sit on in the car. I recommend that shelter to all my friends and family.

I do remember now going to the ottawa one they do not let anyone to the dogs or cats saying that it does stress them out and maybe it does, when you go to the ottawa one you hardly hear all the dogs barking,where's at the spca one in hull they bark quite a bit.

I dont think the dogs bark because of stress from people looking at them...they don't actually let people back in the kennel area. Someone goes and get the dog and brings it to you, while you wait either in the lobby or out front.

im going to mention this at college and see if we can get a box going for our local Dogs Trust shelter or the RSPCA. there are food donation boxes in some classes, so i dont see why there cant be a toy box too

Back