Thinning fur!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparta

I've just had one of my boys (Pollux) pass away, leaving his brother (Castor). As expected I am very protective and worried for him now. They were both about 5 months old. No real health concerns other than some breathing problems and a small lice infestation that was cleared up in October.
Castor is a sleepy boy who prefers to cuddle and sleep over running around. He is decently active, eats and drinks well, and doesn't seem particularly unhealthy. He was also taken to the vet during the lice problem and was found to be otherwise healthy.
I've been noticing that he is however, losing some fur on his shoulders. Ita not sudden like it was the cause of barbering from Pollux, and the skin is not irritated or scabbed to suggest mites.
He is fed Oxbow with ocassional treats of dog food, bits of lettuce or greens, and yogurt drops.
He occasionally does shiver when I'm holding him, though he can't be cold since its regularly above 25 C in the room I keep him in. And he's perfectly happy to be held so I don't think he's afraid.
The fur loss has been a thing for as long as I can remember honestly. Pollux was a double rex/hairless but Castor is quite fuzzy. I've attached some photos.
I just wanna know if there's something I could do to make his fur grow back!

Last edited:
What is his diet ? Edit: I agree with Jorats ... feed oxbow and a variety of daily vegs and occasional healthy treats such as a piece of fruit, berries, cooked oatmeal, organic pumpkin seeds etc
Foods with added sugar, added salt, and added fats are very unhealthy
and rats need low protein

Does he have friends?

Are the breathing problems being treated with the vet with antibiotics? Please describe

Last edited:
That is odd for such a young rat to have such thinning fur. Normally, if he has buddies, I'd say he's being groomed. And if he still had scabs, I'd say it's part of the mite/lice issues.
I would stop the dog food and only give him the Oxbow. Rats really do best with low protein. In fact, high protein can be problematic for their skin.

His brother died earlier this week of unknown causes. Castor was definitely forcefully groomed by his brother, but I never thought it was caused by that because it wasnt missing in chunks.
Castor never had the breathing problems, sorry! It was his brother who did. Castor never sneezes, wheezes or has any amount of porphyrin around his nose.
I'll definitely keep in mind to not give any dog food. My breeder told my they were fed a high protein dog food when they were weaned and I wasn't savvy on the idea of a full dog food diet for rats lol.
I'm trying to get another baby or two from the same breeder, since there's only one I know of in my area and pet stores are not my thing. She still hasn't replied so I might look on Kijiji. He's getting plenty of time out and attention from me, as well as some extra greens to try and keep him happier till I can find a baby.

No worries! I've had plenty of rats over the years and done lots of intros :) I plan on getting two young ones and I think I'll actually get two from the same litter I got Castor from if I can. Unfortunately the only ratties in my area were all adults or girls. But my breeder did contact me so I should have some friends by Christmas.

Back