The Rat Shack > Rattie 911 > Behaviour > A behavious that only females seem to do

Help Support Ratshack Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
Amaginon

Likes Given: 1

Default A behavious that only females seem to do

I got four baby rats a few months ago, (1 female, 3 males) and it had been over 5 years since I last had a female rat. Anyway, virtually from the start of me getting her (The Duchess is her name), she started to do a certain behavior that some of my previous females had done also. This is chew on the soles of my feet. Now all this is cute and all when you have a hard callous on your feet, but over the last couple of months, she has chewed through the callous and is now hitting fresh skin/flesh (And a couple of weeks ago, one of my males watched her do it and now he wants to do it too).

How can I stop them? (squeaking only seems to work with the male, but Duchess totally ignores the squeaks). I am not even sure why it seems to be something females like to do.

Boys: Pom (Poor Old Man), Curious George, Grumble, Rumble, Solly, Timmy (Timid One), Soots, Patch, Dozy, King, GG (Gentle Giant), Pretty Boy, Dancer, Toby, Olly Starbright, Striper, Bully Bob, Spike, Coldplay, Ghost.
Girls: Lode (Lady of Destruction), Sook, Chubs, Little Chubs, Lucky Girl, Lio (Little One), Callie, Squeals, Missy (Mischief), Trixie (Tricksy One), Pita (Pain in the *).

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1570 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Oh dear, this is not limited to females I can attest to that. lol But it is a problem and almost impossible to deter. All I did with my nibblers and remove access to their preferred chewing spot. lol Keep your socks/slippers/shoes on.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:26 AM   #3
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 531 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorats View Post
Oh dear, this is not limited to females I can attest to that. lol But it is a problem and almost impossible to deter. All I did with my nibblers and remove access to their preferred chewing spot. lol Keep your socks/slippers/shoes on.
I would suggest removing access to your feet or slippers and be extra careful where you step .... imo even the mildest rats will bite socks
Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Old 12-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
Amaginon

Likes Given: 1

The trouble is, the main time she targets them is when i am lying in bed in the evening. And it is getting painful to walk.
Boys: Pom (Poor Old Man), Curious George, Grumble, Rumble, Solly, Timmy (Timid One), Soots, Patch, Dozy, King, GG (Gentle Giant), Pretty Boy, Dancer, Toby, Olly Starbright, Striper, Bully Bob, Spike, Coldplay, Ghost.
Girls: Lode (Lady of Destruction), Sook, Chubs, Little Chubs, Lucky Girl, Lio (Little One), Callie, Squeals, Missy (Mischief), Trixie (Tricksy One), Pita (Pain in the *).

Old 12-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Sheldon
Rataholic

Liked 570 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Lol socks never stayed on for me. Amy would always yank them right off. Kinda sucked during Winter. My feet were always freezing!!

Bonus pets (fishes )
RIP Gollum, Carnival

Old 12-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
Sheldon
Rataholic

Liked 570 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Maybe try putting some of that bitter apple spray on your heels?

Bonus pets (fishes )
RIP Gollum, Carnival
SQ Likes This