A behavious that only females seem to do

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaginon

I got four baby rats a few months ago, (1 female, 3 males) and it had been over 5 years since I last had a female rat. Anyway, virtually from the start of me getting her (The Duchess is her name), she started to do a certain behavior that some of my previous females had done also. This is chew on the soles of my feet. Now all this is cute and all when you have a hard callous on your feet, but over the last couple of months, she has chewed through the callous and is now hitting fresh skin/flesh (And a couple of weeks ago, one of my males watched her do it and now he wants to do it too).

How can I stop them? (squeaking only seems to work with the male, but Duchess totally ignores the squeaks). I am not even sure why it seems to be something females like to do.

Oh dear, this is not limited to females I can attest to that. lol But it is a problem and almost impossible to deter. All I did with my nibblers and remove access to their preferred chewing spot. lol Keep your socks/slippers/shoes on. :)

Oh dear, this is not limited to females I can attest to that. lol But it is a problem and almost impossible to deter. All I did with my nibblers and remove access to their preferred chewing spot. lol Keep your socks/slippers/shoes on. :)

I would suggest removing access to your feet or slippers and be extra careful where you step .... imo even the mildest rats will bite socks

The trouble is, the main time she targets them is when i am lying in bed in the evening. And it is getting painful to walk.

Lol socks never stayed on for me. Amy would always yank them right off. Kinda sucked during Winter. My feet were always freezing!!

Back