Pending intake ( can't move back legs)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmrhayner

Ok I got a call today from a lady that had a rat that she said had fell from the top of a large cage while having convolutions and now he can't Move his back legs. I have a vet trip coming soon. But can't afford a trip so soon again. She did say the local vet (I my self think is a quack) said he's not in pain and his legs twitched so it just a pinched nerve. Sounds kinda funny to me. But my question is is there something I can do to help him? On way to get him now.

That vet might be right. I've read a few rats with similar situations and they either adjust really well or in some cases, they fully heal after some time. But I'd definitely do metacam or advil for pain, just in case.

Well I had to take my boy in. His feet where purple and his abdomen was swollen. The vet said it's signs of internal bleeding and that if he survived he would never use his legs again. We are looking at putting him to rest [emoji47]. I wish I could do more.

I am so very sorry

Just so you are aware, rats can live happy lives without the use of their back legs, with support and a modified environment
However, there are a lot of other considerations in this situation such as the pain he must be in.
It is hard but I know you will do what you feel is best for him.

I am so very sorry that this is happening {{hugs}}

Thank you. We decided to put him to rest. He quit eating and wasn't wanting to drink in less I was holding him. We couldn't watch him suffer any more.

Back