Bloody nose?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meep379

What if my female rat is has getting a bloody nose lately that goes away within about 5 minutes either she's cleaning it off or her cage mate is. I was doing research and found porphyrin, but I figured that that stains whereas this one doesn't. It starts to show up after she's been sneezing for a little while. Which leads me to believe that it's blood. Any ideas on if she may need to go to the vet?

If it is porphyrin then it is an indication that she is not feeling well and may be ill and she needs to see a vet
If it is blood then imo, she needs to see a vet ....is the air in your home really dry?

Last edited:
It still sounds like porphyrin to me. It would be a good idea to see a vet since she's sneezing and it's wet. You don't want it getting to her lungs.

I have a humidifier in my room that's turned on at night. I clean their cage weekly. And use fleece. One possibility that I just thought of was the fact that I had switched over and started using so Phresh litter for them recently could that be a possibility to why her nose would be bleeding or why would be porphyrin?

If it is dusty or has a scent, it could be irritating her system, and thus cause illness.
Please see a good rat vet in case antibiotics etc are needed (rats with resp. issues need to go on one or a combo of antibiotics, orally, twice a day for 6 weeks)

good luck

What if my female rat is has getting a bloody nose lately that goes away within about 5 minutes either she's cleaning it off or her cage mate is. I was doing research and found porphyrin, but I figured that that stains whereas this one doesn't. It starts to show up after she's been sneezing for a little while. Which leads me to believe that it's blood. Any ideas on if she may need to go to the vet?

My 1 of 2 brother rats had something similar. My guess was he was anemic(low iron). Also if you have dry heater source in your home. Moisturize the air, not too much because they have sensitive respiratory systems and u dont want them to get pneumonia, put their cage in the washroom when you have a hot shower to moisten their air ways.
Be sure their food is rich with iron, not too much or they'll become constipated! But rich rat safe nuts are always a win!
My boy sneezes a bit and often I find micro blood spats on the wall by the cage. Make sure to that they have enough water. Sorry for the scattered unorganized response but hopefully some of it can make some sense for you and your little fur baby

Back