Advice needed on solo rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Errol

Hello everyone,

I bought two bucks from a local pet shop (not a nice one, I couldn't leave them there). Well I have had these guys for about 9 months, not 100% sure how old they were when I bought them but I would guess about 6 months, so they are barely 1.5 years old. I very sadly had to put one of them down yesterday as he was really struggling from a zymbals gland tumour and despite pain relief I thought it unfair to make him carry on (R.I.P Ernie).
Unfortunately I now have just the one rat, Errol. He is such a sweet heart but my problem is I cannot get another rat, and I feel it is unfair for me to keep him as a solo rat considering he is about half way through his life if things go well. I can spend about 4-5 hours a day with him outside the cage but I feel like this isnt enough as I am not a rat substitute, however much I love him and he loves me.
So the question I am asking is whether or not you guys feel like it would be best for me to rehome him to a loving home where there would be other boys for him to be introduced to, I don't want him to have a sad rest of his life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

I'm so sorry for your loss. A few years ago, I would have answered with rehoming the rat so he can live a full life with companionship but I've come to realize that finding a good home for rats is a rare thing. So honestly, I think he would be better off safe with you. Move his cage to a busy part of the home, where you'll be most often. Decorate his cage fully with tissue paper, newspaper and such for him to play and make nests. Put a small stuffed toy in the cage so he can have something furry close by. When you are not home, leave the radio on so he doesn't feel like he's all alone.

Thank you for your advice! I am glad that you think it's not selfish of me to keep him, I will follow your advice and move Errol's cage into a more busy room. He will be getting tons of attention and cuddles!

Back