Not Eating Kibble

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trosit

Hi guys,

I'm really worried about my rat, Ivory. She just lost her sister, Ice, and is solitary until I try to bond her with a new rat, Gusteau, who I'm bringing home tomorrow. She's been acting the same and drinking her water but doesn't look like she's touching her Martin Little Friends Rat Rations much, or at all. She will still eat treats which I give her about a tbsp a day. This has been happening since Ice passed 3 days ago.

Is there anything else that has full nutrition that I can give her? Make for her myself or bought, which has a higher success rate? Is it depression and I should wait to see how introductions go with Gusteau tomorrow? Or bring her to the vet now? Thank you for your help.

Yes she is likely grieving and depressed .... just like people when they lose a close family member.
It is good that she is drinking water, staying hydrated, and eating a bit.

Is she showing any other symptoms that might make you think she is also ill?
What killed her sister?
Is it possible that she might also have the same thing?
Can you weigh her daily at the same time, using a digital scale that weights accurately to 1 gram? Record her weights so you can see if she is losing a lot of weight.
If all she will eat is the treats you are giving, and if they are healthy nutritious food then you might consider giving her more if she is losing weight and will not eat anything else ... see suggestions below

Rats can die from depression and grief so having a friend will absolutely help, however, intros need to be slow and gradual. For info on intros please see http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32368 and joinrats.com

Spend a lot of time with her, you might get her a small stuffed animal to cuddle with - one with no small pieces as she will chew a hole in it and could swallow any small bits it is stuffed with.
You might want to make a vet appointment since people usually have to wait awhile, and then you can cancel of she seems better

The best blocks for rats are Oxbow and Harlan Teklad 2014. You might try them.

Also rats need vegs every day and healthy treats such as a piece of fruit, berries, cooked grains and cereal like quinoa and oatmeal, organic pumpkin seeds etc

If she will not eat the blocks mentioned above, then you could offer organic soy infant formula thickened with a bit of baby cereal (the kind that says add milk) and also perhaps offer baby food.
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3708
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590

I hope this info helps and that Ivory is soon feeling much better

Thank you. Her and her sister were born from a rescue rat who was pregnant while waiting to be a feeder in a pet store. My friend who has a lot of experience with rats says their genetics are probably poor and since Ice was smaller than normal that she probably suffered a heart attack. I found her suddenly deceased, passed out as if she'd just gone to sleep. She had been healthy and active just a few hours before then.

I haven't weighed them since June but since then Ivory has put on .7 oz and is at 10.2 oz now. Oh no, is weighing in grams is better? She is 10 months old. I will continue to monitor her weight daily. Intros will be done slowly... But she's submissive and I'm getting a neutered male so I hope that speeds things up /crosses fingers/.

I've been spending about 2h with her a day. I'm a big suck and can't bare looking at her sulk in her hammock. The teddy bear is a beautiful idea! And I haven't bought vegetables since we're moving next week - I totally forgot it affects her too! Oh my goodness I have to go shopping right now x_x The nutrition page is really complicated so I'll up the veggies and treats leaning toward no artificial ingredients. I'll grab a bag of Oxbow if there are no improvements in the next week.

Thanks again!

no problem
I am very sorry for your loss

grams are not better, but I am in Canada and that is the system of measurement we use

btw, rats need low protein so you will want a block with 16% or 14% protein or lower

hope she is soon feeling better

Just a quick update. Ivory is eating well and back to being playful :) I think the Oxbow helped - she'll eat it first before her old kibble. It's weird because when I first had them on Oxbow Mouse & Young Rat they preferred the Martin Rat Rations. Now that she's older she prefers the Oxbow Adult Rat Food :9

Back