Home to be needed (Vancouver Island,BC)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Username

I have two baby Rattus Rattus that need an experienced owner and a place to call home. They're still young, though I'm not sure how old, and seem to require assistance to defecate and urinate. They also don't seem to be interested in food, so they will need to be fed with a syringe and then weaned.
I would love to keep these babies myself, but my situation doesn't allow it. I'm also very busy and I feel I cannot provide them the constant level of care that they need at this age.

Some information about them:

- They're boys.
- They're orphans.
- They (technically) are wild, but they don't mind being handled, and the smaller one will even go to sleep after giving you a once over.
- They're both black.

I'm not sure exactly how old they are, as I rescued them myself only yesterday, but more information (along with some pictures) can be found here: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=34623

Last edited:
Someone who knows more about wild rats then I do can likely let you know if they really are wild ........ but unfortunately domesticated rats (pet rats) are often abandoned outdoors and they can have the same colouration as wild rats

The babies look black ..... which imo means they are pets someone dumped outdoors

Last edited:
Someone who knows more about wild rats then I do can likely let you know if they really are wild ........ but unfortunately domesticated rats (pet rats) are often abandoned outdoors and they can have the same colouration as wild rats

The babies look black ..... which imo means they are pets someone dumped outdoors

Interesting... Thank you :)

you might check into the appearance of wild rats in your area, but remember that pets rats can have the same colouration

It does look like some wild rats in your area can be black (as can pet rats)
Off the internet:
Roof rats –*This species is the most common in Vancouver. As their name indicates, roof rats are climbers that prefer roof spaces and attics. They may be grey or black, and they can grow to over 25 cm.
Norway rats –*Unlike roof rats, this larger species likes burrowing in crawl spaces and basements. Norway rats can grow to more than 30 cm in length and have brown fur instead of black or grey.

Here is a page that describes the rats in your area
http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/identify-rats-and-mice.aspx

Last edited:
I have contacted someone in BC who is going to try to find someone to help. Please message me your contact info so they can talk to you.

Last edited:
I have two baby Rattus Rattus that need an experienced owner and a place to call home. They're still young, though I'm not sure how old, and seem to require assistance to defecate and urinate. They also don't seem to be interested in food, so they will need to be fed with a syringe and then weaned.
I would love to keep these babies myself, but my situation doesn't allow it. I'm also very busy and I feel I cannot provide them the constant level of care that they need at this age.
I'm in the Comox Valley, and would really like to see them go to the right home as soon as I find it.

Some information about them:

- They're boys.
- They're orphans.
- They (technically) are wild, but they don't mind being handled, and the smaller one will even go to sleep after giving you a once over.
- They're both black.

I'm not sure exactly how old they are, as I rescued them myself only yesterday, but more information (along with some pictures) can be found here: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=34623

Hello, I am one of the volunteers from SARS, we've been trying to contact u (or whom ever emailed us) for a bit now ... is there any update (I am actually one of the volunteers that lives on the island)
Cheers,
Anna

Back