Freya 2/6/17

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatPack

I want to be able to say that I have all these great memories of Freya but honestly that would be a lie not that I have bad memories of her it is just this, When we got Freya and her sister Charlotte they were very shy and Charlotte was a angry nightmare that chewed her way out of two cages before we got them transferred to a critter nation and metal pan..We had them maybe 6 months before Charlotte stopped trying to eat my hands when I had to get in the cage which got us to a point we could pet Freya as she was obviously following Charlottes lead on things. Sadly shortly after this we had to have Charlotte euthanized due to what we suspected was heart failure and it happened so fast there was no time for Freya to prepare. The day we brought Charlottes body back and placed her in the cage for Freya to say her goodbyes was the day Freya wrote off all humans for good and who could blame her really. She only got worse as time went on and got to a point even opening her cage made her run and hide so she stopped being forced out during cleaning and we starting doing our dance which we eventually perfected but a couple of months later she got the tumor on her chest and I didn't consider surgery out of respect for her feelings for people I knew it would be very stressful for her to go through surgery and recovery so we waited it out together with a few stares and kind words and our once a week cleaning dance. The last few weeks she was coming to the door and staring at me and she would actually let me pet her for a few seconds before running.. Call me crazy but I knew what she wanted.. She wanted me to let her go but I thought she shouldn't go on and it was a little selfish yes and she would have liked to go when her sister did. I thought she would be a handful when we went in given her distaste for people but to my surprise and heartbreak she didn't fight at all.. She was ready to join her sister and so she did quickly and I am happy to have finally given her something she wanted in the end. So no I don't have any cute pictures of her running about or cute selfies of the two of us but she will always hold a special place in my heart for her stubbornness and loyalty to her sister long after she was gone. Freya you sweet,stubborn and beautiful girl.. Thank you for allowing me to love you even if you never loved me back and for doing that beautifully perfected cleaning dance once a week :) Give your sister my love and tell her not to bite anyone!

freyas.jpg

freya3.jpg

freya5.jpg

Beautifully said. These rats do come into our lives...we try to work with them but still respect their needs/fears and angers. Getting that final loving in before they leave gives us all resolution to their lives. I am glad you got yours!

Ratties come in all forms Sweet or Shy but they always steal our heart...Sometimes it just takes that little extra patience but sometimes you can do everything you can but it may seem it's not working...They have fears and worrys they may never conquer but they do know they are loved

Back